• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to remove vinyl from a banner...

Tony Rome

Hey, I was wondering what the best method is for removing a decent amount of vinyl off a banner.
It is a huge banner so it is more cost effective to remove and replace rather than purchase a whole new banner.

It comes off fairly easily with heat, but it is the residue (adhesive) it leaves behind that I am struggling with.

Can I use goo Gone or will that discolor?
I will try it on a small section but wondering from more experienced people, what else should I / could I do?
Thanks!

BTW, heat is the way to go to get letters off, right?

Last edited:
Hey, I was wondering what the best method is for removing a decent amount of vinyl off a banner.
It is a huge banner so it is more cost effective to remove and replace rather than purchase a whole new banner.

It comes off fairly easily with heat, but it is the residue (adhesive) it leaves behind that I am struggling with.

Can I use goo Gone or will that discolor?
I will try it on a small section but wondering from more experienced people, what else should I / could I do?
Thanks!

I have done this before! Cleaned up 3x 36foot x 8foot banners.

Get a gallon or so of rapid remover.
Go to a local bay style car wash.
Lay out banners
pour the rapid remover on the banner.
Get a brush and scrub the parts with most glue
Then turn on the high pressure water and blast away the rest!

May take a time or two but to get get all 3 banners 99% clean took about 30-45 mins

That's A Wrap!

Rapid Remover works well, but I can't stand the citrus smell.
There's a new product, I think it's called adhesive off, supposed to smell like vanilla.

weaselboogie

Lay it out in the sun to warm up the adhesive and peel. However, if it were me, I'd charge more to remove than to purchase new. I do date changes all the time, but I don't salvage banners.

Tony Rome

Thanks so much!
I am going to go with Rapid Remover.
Appreciate all your help!

Last edited:

HulkSmash

I always tell the customer they're going to pay more in labor for removal than for a new banner. They always take option 2.

Last edited:

jiarby

I always tell the customer their going to pay more in labor for removal than for a new banner.

+1

How big is the banner??

How long will it take you? How much will you spend on chemicals? You have to be sure to get all that rapid remover OFF before you start sticking the new vinyl on.

A new printed banner costs no where near your labor costs to screw with an old banner.
It only makes sense if you are doing it for free.

Or...

Give them two options:

1. Buy New
2. THEY peel off the old stuff. You charge extra for surface prep (cleanup residue), and charge MAX for new vinyl. If they have to pay YOU to peel off the old stuff it costs more than option #1.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
The best way to remove old vinyl from a banner is to just throw it in the fire, charge them for removal and order new ones.

Never had a good time salvaging banners ... especially if they are over a year old ... 9 times out of 10 they are so brittle you will tear the banner (or atleast mar it to hell)

signage

I do not see how an hourly rate to remove the vinyl and finding out the best way would be cheaper then new. I already see 15 min. researching now how long is it going to take you to unroll and apply rapid remover then remove the vinyl and clean off the left over glue? either your hourly rate is ridiculously low or this banner must wrap the empire state building.

joeshaul

Damn, I misinterpreted a step here and threw my customer in the fire, charged him for removal and ordered a new customer.

Tony Rome

It's funny, I didn't see anywhere on here asking if I should have removed the vinyl or charged for a new banner.
But to all that actually helped, thanks, lol.
For everyone else, sorry you are so bored.
:rolleyes:

royster13

I would sure love to see the math on this....Was this an expensive grade of banner or the "run of the mill" that costs 0.60 to 0.70 per square foot.....If it is on the low end I can not see how removing old vinyl will be less costly......If it is more expensive material, maybe....

Tony Rome

I would sure love to see the math on this....Was this an expensive grade of banner or the "run of the mill" that costs 0.60 to 0.70 per square foot.....If it is on the low end I can not see how removing old vinyl will be less costly......If it is more expensive material, maybe....
It is a 19oz. 4' x 20' double sided banner and I charged $320 to change out 40Sq Ft. one color.