• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to remove vinyl from a banner...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's funny, I didn't see anywhere on here asking if I should have removed the vinyl or charged for a new banner.
But to all that actually helped, thanks, lol.
For everyone else, sorry you are so bored.
:rolleyes:

Tony.......

You don't have to ask the questions.... we all already know all the answers before you can form the question...... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, most here are giving you some really good advice. Trying to save an old banner is a well-known fact to be an idea from a customer, only. No one in their right mind will remove old vinyl and adhesive to save money. It's just not possible, unless you're changing out a date for a yearly event or something simple. Your very own description of 'a decent amount of vinyl' is the first red flag in this scenario.

You can make more money by working on someone else's sign while waiting for the new banner to arrive. The customer always thinks they are saving money using something old... over again.

You handle it how you want, but I would re-think your approach to a customer when they ask for this service next time. :wink:

After seeing your recent post.... a new banner would have only cost about $160. All you'd have to do is letter it. So, if you got all of the vinyl off in about 2 hours, you did Okay, but you still could've gotten more if you had two jobs going at once.

Tony Rome

Tony.......

You don't have to ask the questions.... we all already know all the answers before you can form the question...... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, most here are giving you some really good advice. Trying to save an old banner is a well-known fact to be an idea from a customer, only. No one in their right mind will remove old vinyl and adhesive to save money. It's just not possible, unless you're changing out a date for a yearly event or something simple. Your very own description of 'a decent amount of vinyl' is the first red flag in this scenario.

You can make more money by working on someone else's sign while waiting for the new banner to arrive. The customer always thinks they are saving money using something old... over again.
You handle it how you want, but I would re-think your approach to a customer when they ask for this service next time. :wink:
GINO...what's up...long time..
This was more profitable for me to do it this way (see above details) I do understand that 9-10 times it would be better to replace the whole banner.
Thanks!

Flame

This was more profitable for me to do it this way

Dude.... you serious here? I'm pretty sure a 18oz 4' x 20' blank would run you under $100....not to mention, it'd save you from getting high from chemicals, ruining your fingernails and drying out your hands.

I mean...if you want to do it, feel free. I just struggle seeing the reasoning here. Seriously.

But if you're all hellbent on removing the vinyl, just do some searches on here on good chemicals to use. Everyone has their own flavor, personal preference... there's really no winner. I've heard everything from turp, goo gone, gas, rapid remover etc. Just need a good solvent that'll eat up the adhesive that won't damage the banner. Always make sure to test a little on a corner, as I'm sure there's a lot of chemicals that'll eat up a banner.

Tony Rome

Dude.... you serious here? I'm pretty sure a 18oz 4' x 20' blank would run you under $100....not to mention, it'd save you from getting high from chemicals, ruining your fingernails and drying out your hands.

I mean...if you want to do it, feel free. I just struggle seeing the reasoning here. Seriously.

But if you're all hellbent on removing the vinyl, just do some searches on here on good chemicals to use. Everyone has their own flavor, personal preference... there's really no winner. I've heard everything from turp, goo gone, gas, rapid remover etc. Just need a good solvent that'll eat up the adhesive that won't damage the banner. Always make sure to test a little on a corner, as I'm sure there's a lot of chemicals that'll eat up a banner.
I understand, and thanks for stating your case the way you did.
I made a mistake of saying it was a decent amount of vinyl, I think that through some people off...also I just sold a few of these to the same guy for $700 so there is no way he was buying another one.
They were 19oz double sided with 1 " rope running through and only about 40 sq ft changed.
I charged him $320.00, I totally understand what everyone is saying, but given the details, I don't feel too bad.
Like I said 9 times out of 10 I totally get it why I would not do this, given a different banner.
Anyway, thanks for all the "helpful" comments!
:thankyou:

Pat Whatley

Hey, if you did it, and you made money doing it, then more power to you.

We strip and reletter stuff on them all the time, too. Sometimes it DOES make sense.

Fitch

Two things:

1) Usually it is the cheaper vinyls that releases the glue from the vinyl, so if heating does this, try removing cold. You may find the glue and vinyl will stay in tact.

2) If this doesn't work, remove lettering with heat, lay taut and soak lightly with mineral turpentine. Leave for 5 minutes, then scrape glue with a standard squeegee. Often I actually soak a terry cloth with mineral turpentine and lay it on to the letter and leave for a few minutes. I then move the clothe to the next letter while scraping the first and so on.

Works every time and is quite fast.

Cheers - G