• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best window vinyl and laminate

Ada

This question might sound novice. What is the best solid printable vinyl AND laminate for long term window graphics. I've been using Avery forever and their products seemed to be of lesser quality now. So any other brand you guys tested? Please give me part numbers if possible. Thanks!

This question might sound novice. What is the best solid printable vinyl AND laminate for long term window graphics. I've been using Avery forever and their products seemed to be of lesser quality now. So any other brand you guys tested? Please give me part numbers if possible. Thanks!

We use Orajet 3951RA with Oraguard 290 gloss laminate for durability and dependability.

bannertime

We have had multiple failures with this material installed by 3m certified installers. The material formula may of changed. It has been very unreliable for us recently.

Interesting. What was the material installed on and what happened? I don't use it on anything but flat or nearly flat surfaces that are either sign materials, vehicle paint, or glass. Haven't had any issues. We did do a test on some deeper transit van curves(no stretching, just a simple shape into the recessed area), and while it did install really well, we swapped it out for cast because of unrelated reasons.

Dtay

Interesting. What was the material installed on and what happened? I don't use it on anything but flat or nearly flat surfaces that are either sign materials, vehicle paint, or glass. Haven't had any issues. We did do a test on some deeper transit van curves(no stretching, just a simple shape into the recessed area), and while it did install really well, we swapped it out for cast because of unrelated reasons.
The Arlon 4600lx was our go to for windows (glass), we print and install throughout the country. At first I thought it may be a installer issue however, it tends to peel up a corners no matter who installs and where. We have always made sure to install in the appropriate temps, etc. It is somewhat of a mystery. Had the craziest failure after 18 months in Utah where it looked like the building caught on fire because the vinyl looked charred. It was printed with the Oki color painter M64s (factory inks) and allowed to outgas, etc. before laminating. I did read in the small print of the data sheet that the "warranty" is void in extreme weather states (it listed a handful including Utah). It just seemed like a odd reaction. I am convinced that the product has had some kind of change in the last year and a half (I have found that they never seem to tell you when they change the formula).

bannertime

however, it tends to peel up a corners no matter who installs and where. Had the craziest failure after 18 months in Utah where it looked like the building caught on fire because the vinyl looked charred. It was printed with the Oki color painter M64s (factory inks) and allowed to outgas, etc. before laminating. ... I am convinced that the product has had some kind of change in the last year and a half (I have found that they never seem to tell you when they change the formula).

Appreciate the info. Will keep an eye on the stuff. Those sound like symptoms of solvent ink issues based on what I've read around here. I've not seen those issues with our Latex. I have seen lifting on corners of ACM signs, but that's due to low initial tack. Some times we'll post heat those edges. We've only been using the combo for about 2 years. Switched from 3M 40c due to concerns about consistency and odors. The Arlon has been incredibly consistent and produces no noticeable order when run through the latex heaters.