• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Wrap Certification

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
If a customer calls 5 different shops for a wrap, 1 of them says they are "xyz" certified and the other 4 when asked say they are not certified and try to jump through hoops explaining why they don't need to be...you have to see it from the ignorant consumer's point of view. If prices are all within the same range...which one would you choose?
I'm the one that isn't certified but say I'd rather have a wrap done by a company that's been around a few years wrapping lot's of vehicle than use a company that is certified but only wrapped 2 vehicles. That usually makes sense to them. I still wouldn't mind a cert on the office wall for those national companies who give weight to them. Point is, it CANNOT Hurt, it can only help.

Dan Antonelli

For the wraps we design, if I don't know of a local shop I actually tell them them to find a few, see if they are 3m certified, and then send me their web site and I'll help them decide. If their web site sucks, they are definitely out. If they are not 3m certified, thats a strike against them as well. I assume, and maybe I'm wrong based on this discussion, that someone who has taken the time to further educate themselves might be a better installer.

grafixemporium

Dan, you are right about many things... not this time though.

We have some of the cleanest installs I've seen in the Houston area. No certifications here.

fmg

Try looking into Lowen.They have have a certified wrapping section and will lead you onto 3M Preferred.

HulkSmash

We have some of the cleanest installs I've seen in the Houston area. No certifications here.

+1
Dan, I've come across a few 3m certified installers. I promise you, don't mean squat. We're fellers certified, and i promise.. that don't mean a damn thing..

It's all about experience.

Dan Antonelli

You not only have the cleanest installs, but also great designs as well. A rare combination, and one of the reason I think you are so successful and at the top of your game.:U Rock:

You are right - probably not the best assumption to make - however - if I have nothing else to go by, it's something I will factor in - although not a ton. Web site photos don't show enough details usually for me to make a determination a thousand miles away for my client to get our design installed.

The little experience I have with local 3M certified shops have been excellent, so I guess that also plays a bit into my decision.

If you would just franchise across the country, I wouldn't have this problem!

Dan Antonelli

+1
Dan, I've come across a few 3m certified installers. I promise you, don't mean squat. We're fellers certified, and i promise.. that don't mean a damn thing..

It's all about experience.

Totally true. Experience trumps any certification. I look at certification as maybe a way to further educate yourself, but no two day class is going to replicate thousands of hours you guys have.

I seriously have nothing but mad respect for you guys. Even when I did truck and vans, I just plain sucked at it. And I had done probably 50 trucks and maybe 40 vans - not full wraps - just partials - and I still sucked. I had to do everything wet - and I still SUCKED!! You guys would have laughed at me.

The final straw was this job: http://www.graphicd-signs.com/portfolio-vehicle-advertising#19

That was the last van I ever personally helped do. Partial wrap - and it took me and another guy almost 12 hours to install. It was that day that I decided to never personally try to letter my own designs. Sold my printer, and the rest is history hahah... That was 7 years ago. I just knew trying to wrap was not my thing, and I was more profitable sitting at a desk designing. Besides, after one side was done, I was always bored to tears on the other side!

You guys, frankly, I don't know how you do it - so fast and so well.

Pat Whatley

If a customer calls 5 different shops for a wrap, 1 of them says they are "xyz" certified and the other 4 when asked say they are not certified and try to jump through hoops explaining why they don't need to be...you have to see it from the ignorant consumer's point of view. If prices are all within the same range...which one would you choose?

And how many times a year is a customer going to call and ask if the shop is certified? My guess is between one and never.

How many times have you called a mechanic to ask if they were ASE certified? Checked a restaurants Zagat rating? Ever ask the guy networking your computers if he's got an MCSE or his CSE? Do you have your SBC from the BBB? My point is that we are so bombarded by meaningless certifications that they rarely have any meaning in the service industry anymore. Send me $50 and I'll send you a certificate saying you're a CERTIFIED______________________.

If you are going to get certified as a sign shop at least go with 3M. Nobody will have a clue what 3M Certified means but you'll at least get to piggyback on 3M's brand recognition.

kylebrk

+1

Dan, I love ya. However, stick to the design on this one!

My boys have spent hundreds of hours on their own wrapping their own stuff and shop stuff to make sure they know what their doing. Im the owner, their standards are higher than my own. Certifications aren't even on the radar at this point. I get two wraps a month from our reputation alone.

Certifications don't mean anything because the consumer doesn't understand them. Anyone that properly educates a customer can show their knowledge of the subject. Their body of work and reputation should show their proficiency and and integrity. Much harder to earn than a weekend course and $800 to a manufacturer.