• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Wrap Training/Seminars - Thoughts?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
It's interesting that it only takes two days to get 'certified' to wrap vehicles.

It's taken me 20 years to get 'certified' to design em.

Although to be honest, the more guys buying a printer and getting 'certified' in two days and then designing their own stuff and putting it on the road, the more work we get - so I probably shouldn't knock it!

Kids these days get to take graphic design classes in High School...rather than Logic or Ethics...so they probably won't be taking "20 years" to learn to design, if they pay attention. Not knocking designers (of which I am one) but It didn't even take me 5 years to learn to design well. You have to like what you do...and the rest comes with doing it.

CS-SignSupply-TT

+1 360wraps

360wraps goood learning but overall business approach and ongoing advice is great

We have a customer who really wanted to learn the wrap business. She went to 360 and was totally encouraged. She came back ready to take on the world. Here's an ATTA GIRL! for Tracy and 411wraps, Dalton, GA

Tint Boss

One Source in Michigan

I attended the vehicle wrap seminar training at a company called One Source in Swartz Creek, Michigan. The guys name is Mat Gunsell who does the wrap course, he is insane! He's been doing wraps since they hit the scene, he has owned two different successful companys in the past 15 years and he's only 30 years old, which is amazing in itself. It was by far the best wrap class I've ever been too, he limits the class to 5 people, so everybody gets hands on and his full attention. I've never seen anyone installing a wrap as fast as this guy, I really learned a lot from him. The only thing I didn't like was no certification was given, but i understand his reasoning behind it, he said "The certification doesn't make you a good wrapper, that piece of paper on your wall doesn't offer anything for you, if you do good work, then that's what drives the customers in, let your work speak for itself " He only charges $295 a person, its from 9am-4pm, lunch included and a awesome gift bag full of tools, if your in the area, its worth checking out!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Source/256425324434523

tsgstl

I took the Oracal course two years ago.
The host's were Nepco out of Rhode Island who made one feel like a part of their family. Wade, Dean and Brian from Oracal were top class and really were hands on.They taught what they could in two days which was ample. The rest is up to you the individual.
They won't teach about printing, laminating or there such but they will give you a basic introduction into wrapping. What's good about these courses is that you might realize mistakes that you have been making prior to attending a course and why and how you were going wrong.
Summed up it was a great weekend and had lots of fun and walked away feeling much more confident when tackling vehicle wraps.
Hope this helps.

I went to a class with those same guys (I think at least) Wade was real good and has worked me through a few problems since.

johnnysigns

Kids these days get to take graphic design classes in High School...rather than Logic or Ethics...so they probably won't be taking "20 years" to learn to design, if they pay attention. Not knocking designers (of which I am one) but It didn't even take me 5 years to learn to design well. You have to like what you do...and the rest comes with doing it.

I won't speak out of turn on Dan's behalf, but I think he's got logo design and wrap design down pat, lol. Pretty sure there's several books of his on the subject.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I won't speak out of turn on Dan's behalf, but I think he's got logo design and wrap design down pat, lol. Pretty sure there's several books of his on the subject.

That's fine. Writing a book on a "subjective" subject like "design" is cool.
But a kid with an artistic eye & some instructions on using a graphic program
can become MORE than proficient in graphic design these days. My point was that access to the right tools & an eye for design doesn't take anywhere near 20 years to develop.

MatthewTimothy

i heard there was a place in Texas, but I too agree with Dan, BUT like a design degree, knowing the basics is a great start regardless.

Dan Antonelli

can become MORE than proficient in graphic design these days. My point was that access to the right tools & an eye for design doesn't take anywhere near 20 years to develop.

There's more to graphic design than proficiency in software, or an artistic eye. That's the easy part. The real role experience plays is in the depth of understanding about proper branding, brand integration, and effective marketing strategy from a cohesive standpoint. Truly understanding small business branding, what works, and what doesn't takes a lot of experience. Hands on experience, analysis of and study of prior work, and an equal dose of passion separates good designers from great ones.

I've personally sold and created well over 600 brands in the last 17 years. Were the first 100 as good as the last 100? If they were, that would mean you flatlined in your learning and growth as a designer and marketer. Every single brand I put out there I try and make better than my last.

If you were going for surgery, would you want the wunderkid a few years out of school, or the surgeon with 20 years experience? Can they both do the job? Maybe. But for me, experience will always win. Not sure as a business owner, I'd trust my valuable asset to kid who hasn't been schooled properly, and has enough experience to understand brand implementation issues.

Design is less subjective than you think. Results from good design is not subjective at all and can be easily quantified when you analyze ROI. It may be subjective to other designers as far as what they like or don't.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

can become MORE than proficient in graphic design these days. My point was that access to the right tools & an eye for design doesn't take anywhere near 20 years to develop

Art is subjective, design is a process.

If you are talking sign shop good, Dan may be talking about something beyond your wide comments. Really, most sign shops are not known for "good" design... most are in the realm of "good enough" to "can't see it from my house"

If the process is design software proficiency, than that is an extremely limited skill set and design that is more image shuffling than concept and principles, that's like mastering in pencil...

Kids these days are no smarter than we were, they just have access to cooler tools. It does not make them better, just have earlier access than we did.

I see a sign shop mentality here, take a kid with illustrator skills, and some "artistic ability" and design wraps... well, good wrap design is hard to find. I dig Dan's wrap designs, I also dig the messy wraps - if done well. Most wraps are not impressive and the others are knockoff of cool wraps. Wrap design has the greatest potential for creative exploration to the average sign shop and they still treat them like a sign. Good vector skills does not help that, it just makes you a bit faster at designing crap.

I have followed lots of designers careers, including Dan Antonelli's and Joe Diaz and thier family shop. occasionally I will look for inspiration and run across an old Signcraft with an Antonelli article. His skills were very good, many, many designers copied his style, some actually still do copy that now "old school" style. But you look at the work he does now... his skills are way beyond what he did before. His pencil or mouse skills may be the same, but where he pushes that pencil or mouse is coming from a place of experience. He has included collaboration, mastered the process, and learned to say no to bad work. This takes huevos and experience... Maybe he could have learned it in 5 years, but like most designers I look up to, it takes 15-20. I have many more examples of experienced designers than good youngin's

Now, I am sure a kid with Corel or Illustrator can do a decent copy of a Dan or Joe design or the few other accomplished designers, but that is not design, that is usually creative copying. Like I said before, what I mostly see is photo/clipart/vector shuffling, especially in wrap design.

The one thing that is different about good design 20 years ago, and today, is we have better access to good design. Having that better access has not helped that many people in the sign business.

On the subject, I am certified, but from what I remember, the company that sponsored me, did it for dealing with warranty issues and wanted that extra assurance to have all their installers certified. It still took me a long time to be a proficient installer. I believe certification is useful in getting install work from other shops, and going after warranty issues. There are probably only a few clients who want to see certification. Pick the one that tries to accomplish all of those things as much as possible.

Last edited:

Typestries

In addition to wrap install training, there should be wrap design training.

So many of the wraps out there are functionally useless branding/marketing/advertising pieces and are no more than a complete waste of the clients money.

Paging the S101 design pros......I've got a concept for ya!

wrapcitydesigns

Fellers training is the easy road. If you want to get excellent training and have your name out there with a certification go through 3M. They have the best material in the world therefore the best trainers in the world. I'm a 3M certified installer and have been in the wrap business for 10 years. It does nothing but boost your clientell. The Fellers certification did nothing for our business.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
There's more to graphic design than proficiency in software, or an artistic eye. That's the easy part. The real role experience plays is in the depth of understanding about proper branding, brand integration, and effective marketing strategy from a cohesive standpoint. Truly understanding small business branding, what works, and what doesn't takes a lot of experience. Hands on experience, analysis of and study of prior work, and an equal dose of passion separates good designers from great ones.

I've personally sold and created well over 600 brands in the last 17 years. Were the first 100 as good as the last 100? If they were, that would mean you flatlined in your learning and growth as a designer and marketer. Every single brand I put out there I try and make better than my last.

If you were going for surgery, would you want the wunderkid a few years out of school, or the surgeon with 20 years experience? Can they both do the job? Maybe. But for me, experience will always win. Not sure as a business owner, I'd trust my valuable asset to kid who hasn't been schooled properly, and has enough experience to understand brand implementation issues.

Design is less subjective than you think. Results from good design is not subjective at all and can be easily quantified when you analyze ROI. It may be subjective to other designers as far as what they like or don't.

Where to start...I'm not knocking anybody's skills. I agree for the most part about wraps having creative design potential higher than that of "signs" and most shops don't treat them as such. But back to my initial statement, If technology is so readily available in grade school, the truly gifted artist only uses it to harness their creativity digitally. As for applying said skill to "branding effectiveness" etc, that is a little different issue. Branding has constraints depending on your intended target in spite of "everybody" being the audience. People are moved by different things in different ways. A large "corporate" entity will want to play it safe in color scheme, rigidity etc where as an upscale restaurant owner may like abstract, odd curving, non-primary colors, that scream emotional angst. Opposing clean cut, vivid "blue and green" 4 character, recognizable shapes, with color wielding, distorted shapes, with partially ghosted elements in the foreground...are different "modes" and have different "targets". Marketing, Branding, & Graphic Design are all in the same "school" but definitely not in the same class. A non artist can be just as good or better at "branding" than an accomplished artist...if merely judging work based on ROI results. Anyway...sorry to have rattled your cage as you must have rattled mine as well for such lengthy exchanges as these. The "subjective"-ness of design is less quantifiable as you suggest. Pitting design with branding & their combined ROI means you think such designs as the letters UPS on a brown background must have taken a design veteran to produce. Shove anything in peoples faces by as many means as possible as many times as possible and you will achieve branding. Hate to burst the bubble for all those "Professional Branders" out there.