• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Beware of composite aluminum with clear plastic coating and no graphics

gabagoo

Burned myself this morning...
A customer brings me 2 4x4 composite aluminum panels and I cut 1 colour vinyl for a directory board. I used the laminator to apply it and then I am removing the premask and the graphics are lifting right off. On close examination I see that this composite aluminum has a clear plastic like every other brand I use but absolutely no graphics or copy on it whatsoever.
I never even thought about it and I guess subconsciously thought he had removed it before bringing it to me.... At least it is easy to remove lol

I need Friday to end

petrosgraphics

did something like that years ago. when tuffback was around. hand cut the lettering, sprayed the face, peeled the tuffback off , had a nice piece of white alum when i was done. always checked for vinyl after that!

IDB Signs

Haven't done that one, but I have had several face palm monents.. Like forgetting to check which side was up before applying the 2nd graphic on a double sided ACM panel.. :D

mmblarg

We have that problem with a new brand of PVC - never had a backer in the 7 years I've been here, now there is a clear backer with no graphics on it. Best part, it's hard to get off. Unlike aluminum and composite where we can scratch at it to get the backer started, do that to PVC and you might as well just drag a nail across the face of it...