Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware of composite aluminum with clear plastic coating and no graphics

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gabagoo, Sep 21, 2018.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Burned myself this morning...
    A customer brings me 2 4x4 composite aluminum panels and I cut 1 colour vinyl for a directory board. I used the laminator to apply it and then I am removing the premask and the graphics are lifting right off. On close examination I see that this composite aluminum has a clear plastic like every other brand I use but absolutely no graphics or copy on it whatsoever.
    I never even thought about it and I guess subconsciously thought he had removed it before bringing it to me.... At least it is easy to remove lol

I need Friday to end

Tags:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Ouch. Easy temporary graphics.

3. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    coworker did that with a new brand of mesh. hemmed it with the backer on and made a big ol mess.

4. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    did something like that years ago. when tuffback was around. hand cut the lettering, sprayed the face, peeled the tuffback off , had a nice piece of white alum when i was done. always checked for vinyl after that!

5. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

I had an employee do that to about 35 license tags with cut vinyl. lol

6. IDB Signs

IDB Signs Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Portland, TN
    Haven't done that one, but I have had several face palm monents.. Like forgetting to check which side was up before applying the 2nd graphic on a double sided ACM panel.. :D

7. w2csa

w2csa Active Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Canandaigua. NY
    Oh my gosh, I haven't done that yet but now I KNOW I'll do it!

8. mmblarg

mmblarg Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Rapid City, SD
    We have that problem with a new brand of PVC - never had a backer in the 7 years I've been here, now there is a clear backer with no graphics on it. Best part, it's hard to get off. Unlike aluminum and composite where we can scratch at it to get the backer started, do that to PVC and you might as well just drag a nail across the face of it...