• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bi or Uni???

82R909

~On a VP 540 is it best to print in Bi or Uni-directional?
~Could someone explain the differences or the reasons to print in either?
~Just wondering because we are experiencing horizontal lines and we done everything the manuel as suggested.

Thanks in advance
82R909

TheSnowman

I assume by "Horizontal Lines" you mean banding. It depends on the settings rather you get that or not. On a lot of my normal media that I print everyday, I can' run either, and I don't notice banding. If I am printing on a specialty banner material or PhotoTex, I have to run unidirectional to get rid of the banding. I'm no genius on it, but that's what I know on my Mimaki.

B Snyder

~On a VP 540 is it best to print in Bi or Uni-directional?
~Could someone explain the differences or the reasons to print in either?
~Just wondering because we are experiencing horizontal lines and we done everything the manuel as suggested.

Thanks in advance
82R909

Prints look better on any printer in uni-directional mode.

Bi = printhead lays down ink as it moves in both directions.
Uni = printhead lays down ink in only 1 direction.

jasonx

Don't just run uni-direction to alleviate banding. Get your directional settings and your feed calibration correct and you won't have banding.

iSign

in addition to feed calibration, there is calibration for the alignment of right-to-left printing and left-to-right printing... if that calibration goes out, you will get banding even if your feed calibration is correct, but printing unidirectional will correct it temporarily