• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Banner Suggestions...

cgsigns_jamie

We are a major sponsor at the local county agricultural fair, as such we donate a good bit of signage. There is a section of the fair known as Early Florida. To draw attention, we have a 4' x 20' banner strung between two telephone poles, about 15 feet in the air.

For about 4 years we had a 19oz Banner with wind slits (I know, wind slits are the devil) and it faired pretty well. Unfortunately there was a thunder storm with some pretty strong winds, the 4 year old banner couldn't take it anymore and it ripped to shreds.

So last year I decided I'd make my life easier, and I order a banner from Merritt. I got a 13oz Banner with webbing. I decided not to use wind slits because the general consensus is that they don't do anything but weaken the banner.

Well, a week after it was installed, we had another "mild" thunder storm and that banner just shredded.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning toward another 19oz banner, but don't know if I should use the wind slits. Common sense tells me that wind slits weaken the banner. Then I think about the original banner surviving 4 years with wind slits?

What do you think about a mesh banner? I don't think a 20 foot mesh banner would last that long outdoors, anyone have any success with that?

(Also the banners were installed with ratchet straps, perhaps we should use bungee straps?)

msenjur

what wind slits did you do?

we are doing one like these... maybe you sholud add some extra material at the end of the cuts (same thing as on edges)... so, you would prevent tearing these wind slits...

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 102
I worked for a company for years that produced a ton of mesh banners. They sold a lot of mesh to college sports team. The banners would hang around the perimeter of the fields on the fences. They usually used them for several seasons before they had them replaced.

If the mesh banners are made the right way on the right material I can't see where longevity would be an issue.

Letterbox Mike

I know you said it's strung between two telephone poles, but exactly how? That will make a big difference in how the banner holds up.

SeaWriter

If it is truly between poles (i.e. street banner) a no backing, 13oz is not adequate, so go for 18oz to 20oz.
Secondly one way to best install a ‘street banner’ is 2 extremely tight cables and I mean tight. Attach the banner to the cables & also tension the banner tight as a drum skin. This is how you see the regular ‘street banners install and a similar technique works for massive building banners.

Third, suspend the banner from 1 extremely tight cable, loosely secure the bottom. This allows the banner to raise and flap in strong winds. However the flapping now becomes a cause or point of fatigue.

For any banner tightness is the key. If a banner can flex or move it will eventually wear & fatigue. Ropes at each corner really don’t do it for a free standing banner

Any way just my 2 cents worth.

cgsigns_jamie

Thanks for the info guys.

Stop Sign: I was worried that a mesh banner wouldn't be strong enough to handle being stretched for the install. This banner is literally installed between two telephone poles.

Insignia: The last banner was installed with ratchet straps.

SeaWriter: I think that's where the last banner went wrong, it was only 13oz. The one that lasted 4 years was 19oz (I believe)
There is a steel cable that runs between the two poles but it's not very tight. They tried installing the banner using zip ties to the steel cable. That obviously didn't keep the banner taught and it just clumped together in the middle (See photo). After that we went back with ratchet straps.

Attachments

• IMG_9397.JPG
    IMG_9397.JPG
    586.8 KB · Views: 141

jfiscus

Rap Master
you need to install a new cable, or two new cables. Not that hard, if necessary mount a boat winch on one end to get it german tight.

Mosh

That is the problem right there. The banner hung too loose and the flapping is what destroyed it. The two tight cable system is the only way you are going to get a long life for the banner. Seen this same thing happen 100 times, good banner, poor installation.

SeaWriter

Looks like you will have to drop 'guide wires' down into the ground as well to support those poles. All something the fair grounds people should be capable of.

heyskull

Banners are a temporary sign so I think for 4 years this has way outlasted its design life.

The poles are not adequate for this job as it looks like the tension of the banner and the wind is pulling them over.
I like the idea of msenjur with his strengthening of the wind slits and tension it properly so it is tight.

SC

cgsigns_jamie

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was told the poles were reset this summer and are now plumb and stable.

I think I'm going to go with a 19oz banner and two steel cables that run between the two poles (One for the top of the banner and one for the bottom) Maybe even add a few ratchet straps in the corners to ensure it's stretched enough.

Also the banner is only up for about a month then it's stored till the next year. It won't be up all year round. I should have clarified that in my original post.

Artgunner

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was told the poles were reset this summer and are now plumb and stable.

I think I'm going to go with a 19oz banner and two steel cables that run between the two poles (One for the top of the banner and one for the bottom) Maybe even add a few ratchet straps in the corners to ensure it's stretched enough.

Also the banner is only up for about a month then it's stored till the next year. It won't be up all year round. I should have clarified that in my original post.

Sometimes it is necessary to not plum the poles. Add a certain degree and then pull to plum with tension. We did this with flag monopole billboards and added 10 degrees to offset the weight.

Art

Pat Whatley

One other option....get a 19 ounce webbing blank from Fellers with the webbing extended. Use the webbing in the ratchet part of a ratchet strap.

We just put up a 4x12 banner that got ripped in the corners because we did not reinforce the corners enoygh. We took gorilla tape and put three small strips on each corner. Than we placed two grommets on the tape to disperse the tension and used 2 very tought bungees. Worked great.

cgsigns_jamie

One other option....get a 19 ounce webbing blank from Fellers with the webbing extended. Use the webbing in the ratchet part of a ratchet strap.

So get a 19oz banner then attach my printed banner to that?

That sounds like it might be an option. How would you attach the printed banner to the reinforced blank, double sided Tape?

I was planing on ordering a 19oz banner then have webbing sewn into the top and bottom hem. That's what Merritt did for me last year, only we used a 13oz vinyl. I need to email Mike and see if they have a 19oz banner.