• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big decision Epson S30 or Roland VS-640i

Felix Sepulveda

Hi guys, I'm about to get into a new Roland VS-640i or a new Epson Surecolor S30690. I have a Photo and Fine Art printing shop with aqueus printers, but I want to enter the signage market. I was almost to order the Roland, but during th weekend the local Epson dealer sent me a couple of phone numbers from the few Epson S30 customers here (about 7). I talked to 4 of them and all are very satisfied with the printer, they say that the speed is amazing, well, faster than the VS seriers for the same quality. My problem is that after I was sure about the Roland, the speed issue gives me some concern. I sent a couple of test prints to an Epson user and the same prints to a Roland VS user, I thought the quality difference was going to be more, but it wasn't (so for me now I know I can be satisfied with the Roland), in terms of speed the Epson print took 10 Mins., the Roland print, 24 minutes. The Roland is in a double cmyk ink configuration which is almost double faster than the 7 color configuration I was about to get..... Also the Epson is US$7,000.00 less including a 51" plotter (cutter) the Epson offer is including.

Should I go with the Epson or wich factors should I take into account in this situation ? please, oppinions, help and advice are very welcome.

fozzie

Can't speak about rolands but we have had an s30670 since nov. 2012. Don't think you would go wrong with it. Good machine, reliable, fast, and great color. Had a few issues coming out of the gate (nozzles dripping, media getting skewed) but Epson fixed those quickly. Also, had great support from Epson.
If you get one, get the heavy duty media take-up. Also, get an additional dryer (like a BBC heater) to put in front if you are printing at higher speeds. If not we have found ink still tacky when it hots the takeup roll.
Finally, depending upon your market, the 4 color rivals 6 color in quality. Unless you are serving fine arts ,etc, in my opinion the 4 color is the way to go. The quality and color is there.
Good luck either way.

hmtzc80

roland

I have used roland/mutoh/mimaki printers for over 10 years now. all of them use Epson printheads what I have seen by experience is that you can find non oem parts for all of the printers above that makes it more independent from a tech call. It has work great for me I would go Roland in a heart beat