• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big File Tranfer?

2B

What programs are suggested for transferring larger files? not so much for us to send out (occasionally happens) but for customers to send in the files the magic 4 letter word is always preferred FREE Thanks,

yousendit.com we use it and it has a free section where you can send files for free upto 2gb. works great and anyone can sign up for the free service. if you want to send larger files than 2gb then you have to pay.

jrsc

we use sendthisfile.com. it works great and you can integrate it into your website very easy. They have a free version but we use the $5 per month version because it eliminates ads and allows us to brand it to match our website.

2B

Thanks for the input,

@JRSC that's it for cost!? was looking at some MUCH more. that would allow customers to send us bigger files without issues of E-mails. Once the file is sent to you, you can save it to your NAS or is it stored on their site?

for y'all who has integrated into your site what sort of firewall/security scan is there?
Is there means to incorporate a human verification process, like reCAPTCHA ?

RobbyMac

We run in a windows server 2003 domain. Our ftp 'server' is a separate xp box, that pretty much is all it handles is the ftp. So our firewall forwards ftp ports to that box.
Filezilla (ftp software) automatically temporarily bans an IP address after x amount of failed attempts in x minutes.
We use a common username and password, so there isn't an 'anonymous' login, and everything is 'public'. But someone still has to contact us to get the username and password.
A few clients have their own username and password, and their folders are private.

MatthewTimothy

We run in a windows server 2003 domain. Our ftp 'server' is a separate xp box, that pretty much is all it handles is the ftp. So our firewall forwards ftp ports to that box.
Filezilla (ftp software) automatically temporarily bans an IP address after x amount of failed attempts in x minutes.
We use a common username and password, so there isn't an 'anonymous' login, and everything is 'public'. But someone still has to contact us to get the username and password.
A few clients have their own username and password, and their folders are private.

an FTP is the best ideal way if you know what you are doing, but if you dont like many you can use:

Dropbox,
FileZilla

Or get a cloud and set a temp login for a client. Currently GoDaddy has a 100gb cloud setup for as low as 1.39 a month for 60 months. For the money its a great way to do this.

jrsc

Thanks for the input,

@JRSC that's it for cost!? was looking at some MUCH more. that would allow customers to send us bigger files without issues of E-mails. Once the file is sent to you, you can save it to your NAS or is it stored on their site?

for y'all who has integrated into your site what sort of firewall/security scan is there?
Is there means to incorporate a human verification process, like reCAPTCHA ?

yes thats it. If you do a lot of file transfers they have larger plans. $5 is a 500mb plan then you pay like $2 per 500mb after or you can get a 10gb plan for $10 and $20 gets you 25gb. we usually don't go over a gb so the small one is good for us. you get an email with a link to download the file from their server. They only keep them for about a week so you have to save a copy locally within that time. You can see how I have it integrated into my site at http://jamestownrubberstamp.com/uploadfiles4.html. You can't even tell its a separate service. If you want to upload a small file I can forward you the email I get to download it so you can see how it works. Just mention who you are in the message area. We have been using it for about 5 years and haven't had any problems.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
ftp works, back when I took files through ftp I set a machine up as just an ftp dump computer and gave them the IP address to the machine. worked pretty well. Other than that ... I tend to just request them spend $10 and get a flash drive to store the file and either bring it in or mail it to me (flat rate $5). Free is nice, but not always the best.