Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big magnets

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gplough, Jul 11, 2018.

1. gplough

gplough Member

Jul 18, 2014
    Kansas City
    Tags:
  2. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    nope. i wouldn't do it. If they insist, make you get a signature stating you are not liable for lost or damaged magnets.

i always caution clients to go smaller with magnets. big ones can be a problem

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Avoid selling magnets larger than 12 x 24 for cars. And also make sure they can even use them....so many cars and trucks now with aluminum or plastic doors.
    I'd say decals only for that job.If they want removable/repositionable, Glass Adhere works pretty well on cars.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Nope, I'll make it if they insist but they will sign off on the design that has my disclaimer on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Why do they insist on magnets?
    most vehicle are being produced with less and less steel, we have had to add a disclaimer that we are not responsible for magnets not "sticking" to vehicles

have you tried / contacted BigfishDMBigfishDM for his iDot film
    apparently it is replacing magnetic sheeting

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sign Pro Salina

Sign Pro Salina New Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Salina, KS
    We don't ever recommend going much larger than the standard 12" x 24" size for magnetics. They are just asking to lose them. Those will more than likely not even lay down flat, let alone stay on at that angle going over the body curves. I would recommend temporary vinyl graphics, or as was already mentioned Glass Adhere, now known as Glass Apeel. It doesn't have adhesive, but uses a microadhesion technology that seems to work well.

7. bowtievega

bowtievega Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Gilbert, AZ
    The only issue we have seen out West here is there are some HOA's that prohibit any type of business marketing on vehicles parked in driveways. We have had people request magnetics so they can be removed at home.

8. But how many times can it be removed and applied?

9. Sign Pro Salina

Sign Pro Salina New Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Salina, KS
    Our customers reuse multiple times. Exact number I don't have. The manufacturer spec sheet says removable & reusable many times.

Attached Files:

10. AGCharlotte

AGCharlotte Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    magnets are not going to work well at all going around contours & body molding... the liability on losing a magnet is probably even less important than the liability of that thing hitting someone else when it comes off (which it will).

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    Magnetics are temporary vehicle graphics. Temporary sign ..... temporary business? Not a good look.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JimmyG

JimmyG Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    What is iDot film? please give links to....

13. JimmyG

JimmyG Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    never mind, I figured the iDot question out, even though the search function here doesn't seem to be working for me.

14. burgmurk

burgmurk Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Oh I've read about that, it's so petty!
    I'd go for vinyl and get a car cover in that situation, or 'cover-up' magnets for parking at home?

15. chromira

chromira New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Hawthorne, NY
    I have used Glass Adhere/Glass Apeel quite a bit. We have a sample piece we put on a glass door 2 years ago and take it off a few times a month to show customers how great the product is.