• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big magnets

gplough

I have a customer requesting the attached design in a 3-4 piece magnet setup. Has anyone done anything like this and can share some thoughts?

I recommended vinyl graphics because I think it will be sketchy at that size as far as staying on going down the highway.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Avoid selling magnets larger than 12 x 24 for cars. And also make sure they can even use them....so many cars and trucks now with aluminum or plastic doors.
I'd say decals only for that job.If they want removable/repositionable, Glass Adhere works pretty well on cars.

2B

Why do they insist on magnets?
most vehicle are being produced with less and less steel, we have had to add a disclaimer that we are not responsible for magnets not "sticking" to vehicles

have you tried / contacted BigfishDM for his iDot film
apparently it is replacing magnetic sheeting

Sign Pro Salina

We don't ever recommend going much larger than the standard 12" x 24" size for magnetics. They are just asking to lose them. Those will more than likely not even lay down flat, let alone stay on at that angle going over the body curves. I would recommend temporary vinyl graphics, or as was already mentioned Glass Adhere, now known as Glass Apeel. It doesn't have adhesive, but uses a microadhesion technology that seems to work well.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
The only issue we have seen out West here is there are some HOA's that prohibit any type of business marketing on vehicles parked in driveways. We have had people request magnetics so they can be removed at home.

We don't ever recommend going much larger than the standard 12" x 24" size for magnetics. They are just asking to lose them. Those will more than likely not even lay down flat, let alone stay on at that angle going over the body curves. I would recommend temporary vinyl graphics, or as was already mentioned Glass Adhere, now known as Glass Apeel. It doesn't have adhesive, but uses a microadhesion technology that seems to work well.
But how many times can it be removed and applied?

Sign Pro Salina

Our customers reuse multiple times. Exact number I don't have. The manufacturer spec sheet says removable & reusable many times.

Attachments

• glass-apeel-product-data-bulletin-2017-current-981.pdf
    409.2 KB · Views: 200

JimmyG

never mind, I figured the iDot question out, even though the search function here doesn't seem to be working for me.

burgmurk

The only issue we have seen out West here is there are some HOA's that prohibit any type of business marketing on vehicles parked in driveways. We have had people request magnetics so they can be removed at home.
Oh I've read about that, it's so petty!
I'd go for vinyl and get a car cover in that situation, or 'cover-up' magnets for parking at home?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Question on this Glass Adhere - is there an wholesale place that sells this for me to order? I have a roofing company that uses his personal truck but he has to have something on the truck when he goes to large sites but magnet won't stick. He said no more that 25 mph since he gets to the site, puts it on and takes it off when he leaves. Will a window cling work for this? I don't want to buy a whole roll of Glass Adhere for one job. Thanks!

brdesign

Why do they insist on magnets?
most vehicle are being produced with less and less steel, we have had to add a disclaimer that we are not responsible for magnets not "sticking" to vehicles

have you tried / contacted BigfishDM for his iDot film
apparently it is replacing magnetic sheeting
I once had an angry customer complaining they were sold defective magnets because they wouldn't stick to the brand new Corvette they borrowed from the dealer for a Christmas parade. I saw that Corvette in the parade and they used duct tape to attach the magnets to the brand new vette.

amw

Longtime Members
Question on this Glass Adhere - is there an wholesale place that sells this for me to order? I have a roofing company that uses his personal truck but he has to have something on the truck when he goes to large sites but magnet won't stick. He said no more that 25 mph since he gets to the site, puts it on and takes it off when he leaves. Will a window cling work for this? I don't want to buy a whole roll of Glass Adhere for one job. Thanks!

They sell 10'x24" sample rolls. They are about $20 (pretty sure that includes shipping).