Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Mouth Grommet Press

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Stephenedwardgraphic, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Tags:
  2. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    I have both.

I already have a stimpson. AWESOME machine. I've put tens of thousands of grommets through it.

I have this grommet machine for button snaps. I hate this grommet machine. Go stimpson now. If you buy this. You'll use it once and buy a stimpson any way.

3. Signs 365

Signs 365 Member

Aug 3, 2011

When it comes to hand presses, Stimpson's are the way to go. I've used others and nothing compares!

4. jmb474

jmb474 Member

We have a stimpson and a hiker and both of those work very well.

5. EricRamse

EricRamse Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Never had a Hiker fail

6. Tom Dalton

Tom Dalton Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Illinois
  7. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    don't want to be a thread pirate but....... we have a usbanner one and it basically has a very hard time punching through the double folds on the corners, will actually deform the grommets so we have to pry them out and re do it!

so, avoid usbanner machines! on that note, are the stimpson ones, one press does all? in other words is it a hole punch and grommet all in one? do they have any difficulty going through double folded 13 oz corners at all?

8. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    I can't see that having difficulty punching through a couple layers has much to do with the press itself -- perhaps the gromets you've been ordering are not as sharp as they could be or the piercing ring isn't as heavy as it should be to withstand the force necessary to pierce two or three layers.

9. dsmskyline

dsmskyline Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use a Hiker hand machine and it has never deformed a grommet on me. Ive put grommets through up to 8 layers of 13oz scrim banner material, 3 and 6mm sintra, gator board.

Good machine.

10. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    i just buy in the standard #2 brass grommets.....so not sure to be honest why it deforms them 9 times out of ten.

have just wrote us banner an email to see what they suggest.

11. Spud Murphy

Spud Murphy verboden

Jun 12, 2011
    Your grommets need to have "SP" after the number (self piercing) otherwise you need to use a hole punch.

12. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Same here - good machine.