Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big printing problem. Printing a big job and I need help asap!

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by RSR571, Dec 29, 2008.

1. RSR571

RSR571 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    I have a mutoh lt ultra 64 inch. The print has problems with black ink. It looks like everytime the heads reach the left side of the print it drips or drops black ink into the print. Here is a picture.

We have tried manuel cleaning the heads and squeeges and we have ran multiple cleanings. It wont do it in the nozzle check but it does it whenever we make a print. HELP ME! we are printing a huge wrap and need to have this fixed asap! thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
    Tags:
  2. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Looks more like a head strike to me...
    Is it possible that you have a vaccum problem causing the material to lift, or maybe that you have the heat turned up too much which is causing the media to expand and buckle up into the heads???

That's all I can think of off-hand.

3. wrapman jamz

wrapman jamz Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Run a piece of another file and see if the problem still exists. If not it may be a corrupt file. It looks as though the droplets are following the arc patter of the art.

May not be the Heads, but the file.

4. RSR571

RSR571 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    its not the file, it looks like a head strike but usually we can stop that by making sure we hold the material tight with the take up reel. Any other suggestions?

5. wrapman jamz

wrapman jamz Member

Nov 29, 2008
    De-humidify the material. Is it a new rool just off the truck? Needs drying out? That's a nasty head strike... are all of the rollers making contact with the materials edges?

6. ProWraps™

ProWraps™ Guest

looks like a head strike to me. what are you printing on? are there rough edges on the media like the hairs on most banner materials? what is throwing me off is that the pattern of the "strikes" is in-line with the printed pattern.

7. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Most likely a piece of lint or something on the head? Failing that perhaps you might try cleaning the encoder strip. I sometimes get the same sort of thing with cyan and cleaning the encoder strip tidies it up nicely.

8. ProWraps™

ProWraps™ Guest

if it is the encoder strip, just dont touch it with your fingers. i know member DERF had many problems with his encoder strip. so much so, he bought a new printer. looks like its almost flushing on the edge. but the small streaks are hard to decifer. i hope you get it fixed. i feel your pain. my lamy went down and put my shop back for over a week. its not like we got 20K worth of equipment sitting idle to swap out. so again, i feel you.

9. VinylCraft

VinylCraft Active Member

Sep 16, 2005
    My guess is a dirty encoder strip.

10. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    yet another possibility......pinched by the igus, loose and or broken (on a very micro level)head data (ribbon) cable that's causing incorrect voltage to heads only when the head is in that area? Is that where the cable is most extended? ......only consider this if it happens on other files AND other medias. I can't really see the picture that well.....

11. RSR571

RSR571 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Nice job, that is ecaxtly what it was, a small piece of lint, it looks like thats all it was thanks for everyones help.

12. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Can someone explain just where the encoder strip is?

13. rdm01

rdm01 Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    It is a long strip the runs the length of you printer and has hundreds and
    hundreds of little lines on it. Its purpose is to update the printer on where the
    head is at all times. If it is dirty, the signals being sent the the motherboard
    and fuzzy, and problems arise.

14. Dave L.

Dave L. Member

May 2, 2008
    USA
    It looks like air contamination to me. Dampers that do not have a true seal will take in air, the air is then expelled at the end of the head movement, pushing out ink with it.