• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BIG Problem with Versacamm-BULK INK

Charlie J

My SP-540 has ink all over the floor beneath the drain bottle. I checked the bottle yesterday and it was only like a 1/4 full if that. I came in this morning there ink all over my floor and the drain bottle is full. I'm running bulk ink so I check my ink tanks and the cyan is low and the black is almost empty. Yellow and Magenta are where they were when I last checked them. The tube that goes into the drain bottle was slowly dripping until i clamped all the hoses on the ink containers.

Need help badly on this one. I'm waiting for the tech to call me back.

Do you think there could be something messed up in the pump thats allowing the ink to drain like this?

high impact

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago - walked into the shop one morning to find all my cyan and black ink in a huge puddle on the floor. I have a triangle bulk ink set-up as well.

I changed the pump and it hasn't happened since.

What a mess it can be!!!

Charlie J

Really? This is the second time this has happened within two weeks. I put a new pump in about a year ago.

I would not expect that the pump would be the problem in the scenario that you describe.

My initial thought would be that the cap-top for Head #1 (the one that runs Black and Cyan) has probably swelled, and is coming in contact with the nozzle plate on that head. This can cause a wicking effect, where the ink is pulled into the capping station, and ending up in the waste bottle.

The solution is simple: If it's been 1 year or more since the cap-tops on the maintenance station have been replaced, do it now. Parts cost is minimal (under $50). You might as well replace them both if you are doing one.

Bob

Charlie J

I would not expect that the pump would be the problem in the scenario that you describe.

My initial thought would be that the cap-top for Head #1 (the one that runs Black and Cyan) has probably swelled, and is coming in contact with the nozzle plate on that head. This can cause a wicking effect, where the ink is pulled into the capping station, and ending up in the waste bottle.

The solution is simple: If it's been 1 year or more since the cap-tops on the maintenance station have been replaced, do it now. Parts cost is minimal (under $50). You might as well replace them both if you are doing one.

Bob

How hard are those to replace?

high impact

I replaced the capping stations at the same time! I think you are right Bob! Wow, time to change them again.

The capping stations are a piece of cake to change...they just clip right in if I remember correctly - just don't lose the little spring. ;-)

Charlie J

Mmmk. The tech said he has actually heard of this happening. They're sending me a couple of new cap-tops. $72.00 plus shipping.

Do I have to worry about the heads drying out if I have the Ink clamped off on this thing?

I would carefully attempt to peel back the top layer of foam from cap-top #1 (use tweasers). As I recall, the foam is actually two layers deep, so you want to take off the top layer only.

Unclamp the hoses after doing this, and you should be good to go until you replace the cap tops.

Bob

ChicagoGraphics

Not sure about your bulk ink system, but on some of them there is a valve on the hose from the bottle to the cartrage they you have to turn off other wise the ink just keeps flowing.

ChiknNutz

Have you never replaced your cap tops? I replace mine every 6 mos...pretty much have to. If I don't I first notice nozzle drop-out. I've had exactly the same thing happen as you describe, and it was caused by the cap tops swelling enough to touch the heads, which causes capillary action to draw the ink all the way thru the system to the waste bottle. Also, as Bob Price says, I think it's pretty common to remove the top-most layer of foam on the cap tops.

Charlie J

Have you never replaced your cap tops? I replace mine every 6 mos...pretty much have to. If I don't I first notice nozzle drop-out. I've had exactly the same thing happen as you describe, and it was caused by the cap tops swelling enough to touch the heads, which causes capillary action to draw the ink all the way thru the system to the waste bottle. Also, as Bob Price says, I think it's pretty common to remove the top-most layer of foam on the cap tops.

Havent replaced them since December when the tech did it for me. I think:Oops:

Charlie J

Got some. So do I have to put this thing in service mode to install these or can I just put in in like cleaning mode to get the heads out of the way?

Last edited:

FrankenSigns.biz

If I could ask, without being a Thread Pirate, what is a Triangle Bulk Ink System and where can I get one? I have 3 Roland printers and I've never heard of a Triangle Bulk Ink System.

cdiesel

If you're running three printers you NEED one! It'll save you about 50% on ink costs. Plus you can print unattended without worry of running out of ink in your carts.

It's not for everyone though.. Our local distributor won't install the system unless you're using more than a liter of ink per color, per month.