• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee and Opt. Clear laminate

ChiknNutz

I have a question regarding this combination. I was reading Dale's site and he recommends a laminate with a thick liner for best results. I am using optically clear laminate which has a very thin synthetic liner. For those that have used theirs very much, is this comination going to be problematic and simply cause frustration or does it just take a little more finesse? I have a 25" and a 38" B.S., but have considered a 56" for full-size prints. Does anyone else here successfully laminate 54" prints using optically clear laminate with the B.S.? Thanks much!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What 54" media we used, the thinner... the harder for us. However, it is an amazing tool even with the thinner medias. :thumb:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The thinner laminate backing won't peel off like the 70# vinyl backing does. You have to help it along and this can take more that the standard issue of two hands.

You can bias things in your favor by rolling up the laminate backwards, laminate out, backing in, that you set into the Big Squeegee's tray. It's counter-intuitive and you'll swear you're doing it backwards the first couple of times but it forces the backing to peel off much more smartly than if wound the other way, with the backing out. You still have to help it, but only trivially so.

Master's Touch

I find that thinner release liners do tend to want to get trapped under the squeegee....so ya gotta keep pulling the paper out with one hand, or have someone in front of you that is pulling it out for you....BUT, another big issue with the Big Squeegy, is that the dang roll of material wants to constantly fall off the curved holder while you are applying it.

I don't know why Dale didn't make the thing a little more of a complete cylinder.....

Anyway, we came up with this fix for the roll holder and it really helps when trying to keep that liner peeling off in front of you....we heated a piece of Black PVC around a Vinyl Roll core, and then just double stick taped it.

bigsqueegee.jpg

bigsqueegee2.jpg

That little piece of black pvc makes all the difference when you are trying to push the thing while keeping the liner out from under it....

Darklight

Received the squeegee and used it for the first time this week, and it is excellent! Thinner material has been a bit problematic for me, but squeegee makes it work.

Jackpine

I have used it with Lamex optically clear laminate on a perf 29"x 65" without a problem. The stuff is so thin I had a bit of a time getting it off the liner