• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee Lamination Question

Speedsterbeast

I recently bought a couple of BSs. I have watched a couple of Youtube demos for the lamination one. When they do it, the backing just glides in front of the rolled up lam as it is pushed down. When I do it the backing gets tripped under the squeegee. So I have done a few jobs wih it, but I have to have one hand on the backing as it peels away and pull it forward as I run the squeegee across. This only allows one handed operation on a 30" squeegee which is asking for trouble.

I have tried to fold the first inch or two of backing paper up when I start, to keep it from tucking under but that didn't work either. I have rolled up the lam "backwards" or "paper side in" as the instructions suggest, but I still must be missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
You can also mask the backing to give it more stiffness. It don't need to be a solid mask to do the trick. Best to use a stiff masking such as clear choice.

J

john1

as a person also using a 30" BS i will help you the best i can.

When i first started using the BS i used oracal laminates (210)...I found that you cannot simply push and glide across the print because the laminate is so thin as well as the backing. I now use 3M 8509 and it works wonderful, You push and it glides like butter.

If you are using thin backed laminates just start the first 3 inches or so, put your strong hand in the middle of the BS and take your other hang and pull outward on the backing from the middle and glide at the same time. This works perfect for me for when i need to use the thin backed laminates.

You will be getting silvering for about 24 hours but it does go away. I would recommend printing, laminating a few minutes later (always worked well for me) and then not contour cutting for exactly 24 hours from the time you laminated the prints. This is the exact time frame i always go by and it works great.

Good luck and don't hate the BS yet, I did at first but now i love it. I mount yard signs with it also!

Speedsterbeast

That is how I'm doing it but on a 48" print it's hard to keep the backing from getting tripped up under the lam when it is getting near the end of the run, as my left arm is holding a lot of backing up and out of the way.

I only had a near miss with this method, and haven't ruined anything yet, so I do like the BS. The learning curve for pressure and technique is actually not that bad becasue the info that's out there is quite clear.
-Except how to keep the backing pushing in front of the squeegee as you run it.

I have to do some lamintaing today, so I will try to stiffen it up with a strip of app. tape.

FatCat

OK so masking the backing paper does not work and I have a full roll of 210.
Any other suggestions?

Laminating large prints (4x6 or larger) using the BS and 210 is tricky at best. Therefore, I pretty much put anything 4x6 or larger on my laminator.

*Before I got a laminator I found no easy way that the 210 backer will roll ahead by itself. I always had a helper pull the backer ahead of me while I use both hands on my 54" BS. If you're trying to do it solo I can only wish you lots of luck.

Speedsterbeast

I'm only using a 30" BS so it is possible, but an extra set of hands sounds like a good solution.
Glad to get some feedback that tells me that it is just the limitation of the tool with the lam i'm using.

Looks like I need to make room for a laminator sooner than I thought.

Thanks!

FatCat

I'm only using a 30" BS so it is possible, but an extra set of hands sounds like a good solution.
Glad to get some feedback that tells me that it is just the limitation of the tool with the lam i'm using.

Looks like I need to make room for a laminator sooner than I thought.

Thanks!

Oh, my 30" I can do 1-handed no problem all day and is MUCH faster and easier than loading up a laminator. (When you said 4' print I was thinking width) You just need to practice a bit and make sure you have a truly flat table to do it on. Unless you have really short arms you should be able to master the 30" BS in no time.

*Have a go with my 54" BS on a 4x8 and you'll appreciate the 30". ;-)

Speedsterbeast

No thanks on the 54". I think I'd want to climb up on the table for that.
I work on a 4x8 glass top table so it's a good surface and I'm 6'-3" so arm length isn't a problem either. Just a little more time on the tool is required I guess.
But I just did a run of a dozen prints and I can feel it in my arm.

J

john1

Laminating shouldn't be tiring your arms at all. I have used the 30" BS to mask 2x20' graphics before and that was pretty simple.

What i do is i start the laminating the first few inches then walk along the side of the table as the laminate glides over the print. Takes some practice but you will get it.

anotherdog

Just a note on this, I mainly use Oracal Laminates, great to machine laminate, but hard with the BS. Its down to the backing paper.
I agree with the practice part, I messed up a lot at the beginning. A skill worth aquiring.