• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee - VS - Cold Laminating Machine for Overlaminate?

Sven

Just purchased a printer and am trying to save a few bucks right now. Can the big squeegee be used effectively to apply overlaminate to large pieces of printed vinyl? Just looking for a few different opinions. I understand that for large volumes of work, it makes sense to have a laminating machine, but we're kind of just getting started with the digital side or our business.
Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
^^ +1 ^^

Although one can become very good using a Big Squeegee, nothing quite takes the place of a laminator, especially when you get into multiples. If we have a quick one off, we'll probably use the Big Squeegee. :thumb:

Even if you have a laminator, you should still have a small arsenal of Big Squeegees on hand. We have 3... and they all get used almost daily.

ChicagoGraphics

Since putting my laminator in storage I became really good at using the big squeegee for all size of prints, mostly larger ones.

autoexebat

Thanks , also I guess I should have said that I mainly use 12mil laminate. Not sure if that makes any differance or not.

FatCat

I was in a similar situation when I got started and didn't have the money to buy a laminator immediately after purchasing my printer. For smaller jobs I had a 32" BS and I also invested in a 54" BS for larger stuff. The 32" was/is very easy to handle and makes quick work of small stuff. However, the 54" BS can be cumbersome and flexes a lot especially on the ends. (This is coming from a guy that is 6' 5" and has really long arms.) I was able to make it work for nearly a year, in fact I was able to laminate an entire 24' box truck wrap with the 54" BS and only ruined 1 print. Yes, it was a pain and I would never do it again...

However, fast forward to today and the 54" BS sits in the corner. Too many issues with silvering and tiny bubbles due to inconsistent pressure from it flexing. Don't get me wrong - if it's all you got, it's all you got and it will work to a certain degree. However, $2k will buy a really nice laminator from US Tech that will pay for itself in short time. FWIW - I still use the heck out of the 32" BS I have, for small jobs it beats threading up the laminator and it's shorter length keeps it stiffer and I have less problems with bubbles or silvering than it's big brother.

Realize with any BS product, it's all about technique and practice. :thumb: