• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee

spens_cubbie

Just bought the big squeegee laminator tool and attempted a couple pieces. Not having much luck. Getting bubbles and the squeegee is getting caught or stopping in the middle of the application. What am I doing wrong. Theses were both 30" pieces.

2B

have you tried watching to youtube videos?

is your table FLAT?
how much of an angle are you holding the squeegee at? do not want much angle

TheSnowman

For laminating, if you are using Oracal, you'll hate your life. You can do it, but it's terrible for a beginner. You need a thick release liner. I just started using Arlon and it's INCREDIBLE in comparison to every other brand I've ever used. Goes down awesome.

But what 2B said...needs to be MEGA flat, if you have a piece of glass you can do it on top of, that's the best.

Rob_maxgrafix

For laminating, if you are using Oracal, you'll hate your life. You can do it, but it's terrible for a beginner. You need a thick release liner. I just started using Arlon and it's INCREDIBLE in comparison to every other brand I've ever used. Goes down awesome.

But what 2B said...needs to be MEGA flat, if you have a piece of glass you can do it on top of, that's the best.

Yea I learned that one the hard way, the liner actually has a grip like action when it comes in contact with the print.

spens_cubbie - I know it sounds dificult but what I learned was you need to keep some tension on the laminate thats not down yet. it will take some practice but once you get that process down, it will laminate much better.

and then save for a real laminator :D

bois323

If you do have a laminate with a thin backing (or even a thick one), roll up your lami and place it in the craddle. Then use one hand to pull the backing when you push the squeegee.

This video demonstrates it well. Not with lami but the method is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iaCFPWxT5s

Next time you order lami, order some with thick backing. Having a thick backing really does make it easier.

spens_cubbie

I am using Arlon vinyl, I am on a flat service but there is a little wave in it, maybe that is enough to screw me up.

showcase 66

It takes a little practice but once you get it, it becomes one of the best tools in the shop. Thick backing seems to be the best. I have never really had any problem with oracal, but it could be the way I am used to using the big squeegee.

Also....

Welcome from AZ...

spens_cubbie

Thanks for all of your help. Next question, when placing the laminated piece back into my Roland printer for cutting, is it correct to assume I need to change the depth of my cutting blade? And do I do this manually? (just bought the printer so I am still learning how to run it?

401Graphics

yes you will need to change your downforce on the blade. I have a 56 inch big squeegee. I hate it for laminating! Sucks in IMO. I got lucky and ended up finding a used 64 inch GBC titan laminator locally for under $1000. Now i only use the Big squeegee as a straight edge.
Good luck with the Big Squeegee "B.S."

WCSign

in my experience, its the paper catching on the print... lift the excess paper as you are pushing.

its a great tool if you use it for what its good for.. smaller stuff.. Id imagine if you bought it thinking you could wrap a car with it, then you would probably think its BS

J

john1

I pull the backing paper up along the way across the print. Works perfect. Have done prints up to 8' this way.

Start the laminate onto the print, pull up and walk along side of your table until your done.