• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

big squegee question

timco1

Can I laminate a 30" x 14' print with a big squegee? I have never tried anything that long. What is your experience? Thanks in advance.

ironchef

I would say no, i get bubbles on my 65" cold laminator for just stopping a bit or changes in speed. If i were you, sub it out, and avoid a huge headache. Then again i never used a bs. So i might be wrong.

bois323

Yes you can. I Have laminated 46" x 20' and it came out perfect. I do have to tell you that if it is the first time you are working with the big squeegee you might want to practice on smaller stuff first.

When I laminated that 20 foot print I had a lot of practice with the big squeegee.

The best way is to place the laminate flat on the print, peel of about 3 inches of laminate backing and stick that about one inch on the table and one inch on the print. Make sure the laminate is straigth and has no bubbles or wrinkles at the begining. Once you are certain it is straight. Roll the laminate onto the big squeegee and push away.

Since I got mine, our laminator is reserved for print that are 49" and bigger. Everything under that we use the big squeegee and we get a bubble free print evertime.

Also, make sure your table is flat, I mean really flat, the smallest warp or bow can really be a pain.

Check out the youtube videos on how to roll the laminate on the big squeegee.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Of course you can.... as long as your Big Squeegee is an inch or two bigger than your print. Like mentioned, if this is your maiden voyage, I'd practice a little first.

TheSnowman

You can...but you'll wanna have a perfect work surface, and plenty of room. If you use something with a thin liner (like Oracal) you'll be miserable without lots of practice. I use Arlon now because the backer is so thick.

I normally sub anything bigger than a 2' X 4' out for print and lam so I don't have to throw material away.

Salmoneye

Absolutely. We use a 8' glass table, run 7.5' roll up the finished end, roll out the unfinished and keep going. I have had an instance or two with a bubble that I had to work or pop but usually just a little more silvering. My 65" laminator seems to be able to start and stop no issue.

timco1

bs

Just did it.. No problem at all. Went very well and very fast as well.
I used Arlon Laminate instead of 210. Thanks again.