• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Biggest difference between Mutoh & Roland

midnightmadman

After reading a lot of problem posts from my fellow Mutoh owners, I am wondering what is the big differences in the Roland printing that makes it that much better?

signrios

i'm not sure what's the difference, i have a roland vp540 (used) i'm a beginner at printing and have heard some people having problems hitting good reds with other machines fortunately for me all my reds come out great.
maybe someone else can tell us the difference.

rdm01

In my opinion the Roland just seems like a higher quality product. I have
worked with both, and the Mutoh had ten times the problems our current
Roland has. Leaks, cross contamination, faulty pumps, color problems, it
seemed weekly there was another problem with the printer. Our Roland seems
to go forever before there is a tiny hiccup. Could just be me, but that is my
take on it.

Now you do have to realize that our current Roland is a much more expensive
printer than the Mutoh I was working with, so that always needs to be taken
into consideration to.

Flame

Apples to apples. A Valuejet to a VP540, equal. A Falcon to a SP300, equal. You can have problems with both and personally I'm on a Mutoh tangent. I love 'em.

I do not believe a Roland is any better than a Mutoh, or vice versa. They're pretty much on the same level.

SignAttack

Roland logo is "More Professional choose Roland"
So are you a professional? Mutoh has some hot little Asian next there machines

Robert M

Mutoh vs Roland

Having sold both units I do have experience with both printers. First off alot of the problems you may be hearing about are with the older mutoh's. The new mutoh printers use a newer Epson head that has 8 channels for four color printing. This makes set up and calibration very easy and they produce a smaller dot size for finer detail. The maintance issues with the Mutoh are far less because one head means one capping station and fewer repairs. The inks for the Mutoh and Roland are both produced under the guidelines of Epson so they are very similar if not exact.
I do like the intelligent interweave feature as it takes care of banding issues and allows them to print at 180 square feet per hour for a usable print (not some high speed billboard mode which only looks good from 30 feet away.
Best thing to do is get a file and actually visit a dealer who will run you a test print. I hear Mimaki is coming out with a print cut unit that will have white ink, may be woth a look.

ykapadia

From what I understand is that the Black head tends to fails more compared to the other colours. So if all colours are in one head then what does this mean. Is one colour per head better ?

RG

Yes, I know that a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Junior uses Epson 3000 heads. In fact, these are the same heads that Epson put in 3 of their desktop printers: Stylus Color 800, 1520, and 3000.

MacDaddy

Apples to apples. A Valuejet to a VP540, equal. A Falcon to a SP300, equal. You can have problems with both and personally I'm on a Mutoh tangent. I love 'em.

I do not believe a Roland is any better than a Mutoh, or vice versa. They're pretty much on the same level.

Agreed........................................

Jim Doggett

Marketing taglines and stock-photo-babes aside, the difference boils down to this:

Mutoh, Roland and Mimaki all have relationships with Epson, the holy grail in EcoSol printing. Mutoh builds machines for other companies, including Espon, which gives them a headstart on Espon's newer generation heads and inks. (small advantage)

Mutoh also pioneered and patented Intelligent Interweave, aka Wave printing. (gignatic advantage). This is a truly unique advantage that others are trying to bridge with tricks and marketing terminology, IMHO.

But look at the hard data: 720 x 720 speed and quality (what's used in the realworld). Mutoh is producing beautiful, unbanded prints at 180+ sqaure feet per hour. That's real performance, that prints circles around other printers whose fancy-sounding "technology" is suposedly improving quality while increasing speed -- but isn't even close to the quality and speed Mutoh is doing thanks to I2/Wave printing, which actually does what it says it will do.

Hands down, Mutoh is superior to all other Espon-equipped printers. That's not opinon. Just compare performance cliams to actual performance. Mutoh, with Wave printing, delivers like no other.

Humbly :^)

Jim

Last edited:

ChiknNutz

Although the newest Mutohs do appear to have a pretty strong advantage in speed when compared to others in the same class, my concern is that of overall quality of build and longevity of components. This can ONLY be proven over time, something which Mimaki and Roland have an advantage in. Many ex-Mutoh users will attest to the fact that the previous inceptions left a lot to be desired and now the Mutoh brand has a lot of bad stigma to overcome. The new Valujets certainly appear to shake off Mutohs previous bad-mojo, but again, this can only be proven over time.

Jim Doggett

Although the newest Mutohs do appear to have a pretty strong advantage in speed when compared to others in the same class, my concern is that of overall quality of build and longevity of components. This can ONLY be proven over time, something which Mimaki and Roland have an advantage in. Many ex-Mutoh users will attest to the fact that the previous inceptions left a lot to be desired and now the Mutoh brand has a lot of bad stigma to overcome. The new Valujets certainly appear to shake off Mutohs previous bad-mojo, but again, this can only be proven over time.

ValueJet is tremendously successful, and I'm guessing is in wider use than any prior Mutoh printer, maybe all of them combined. And they've been in the market long enough to attest to the fact they deliver, really deliver, on the promise of increased quality, greatly reduced piezo banding and exceptional speed.

I'd argue they're well-proven, in the realworld. Certainly as proven as newer model Roland and Mimaki printsers, which I think you'll agree, fall well short of the performance that Mutoh Wave Printing-capable ValueJet printers deliver.

But if it can ONLY be proven over time (more) get an EDGE. Inkjet printers are simply evolving too quickly to wait years before making a decision.

Yeah?

Thanks,

Jim

signage

I have seen the ValueJet and the Mimaki Jv print side by side, and the Mimaki blew the ValueJet out of the water in both speed and appearance when the file was supplied by an individual and printed by techs from both sales companies. If the person running the Mimaki knows how to calibrate it and set up the file it is much better! The Mimaki is also built better/more substantial (metal housing verses plastic)! JMHO

signage

I'm not saying they are faster! What I am stating is that the person running them sure makes a difference!

Jim Doggett

For 35 grand, plus, I'd expect the JV5 platform to be more substantial than a 16 grand ValueJet.

In the under 20 grand category, ValueJet reigns supreme. Wave Printing is truly revolutionary, and really puts Mutoh head and shoulders above other printers - in its class.

DOGraphics

For 35 grand, plus, I'd expect the JV5 platform to be more substantial than a 16 grand ValueJet.

In the under 20 grand category, ValueJet reigns supreme. Wave Printing is truly revolutionary, and really puts Mutoh head and shoulders above other printers - in its class.

Jim,

Do y'all sell Mutch?