• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Billboard Info. Needed

Happyprinter

Recently we have had several of our customers request billboard advertising along the interstate that runs thru our town. We have been contemplating jumping into billboard signage but as we have never gone down this road would like some input. We have the machinery,ie trucks, fabrication experience etc to build the frames and produce the faces but not sure how to go about working agreements with land owners, permits etc. Would someone with experience in this area mind giving me some info on where I need to start or what I need to avoid. I understand the laws are different in every state just looking for some general info. What are some of the terms that you give landowners for letting you place the sign on their property? Any help would be appreciated.

round man

I would check with the local OAAA (Outdoor Advertising Association of America)branch for your area,...then network from there,...another way is to go to a major outdoor firm in your area and tell them you are interested in leasing property to them to put a billboard on,I wouldn't divuldge what property etc. and ask them to show you the package they offer and their lease for your lawyer to review,...this should also show you your competition's tactics,....

ova

I agree with the first part of round mans statement.

In this area and just across the river in Ohio, Lamar rules.

I do some work for a guy with too much money. He usually does what he wants when and where he wants.

Ended up with a couple of billboards and put them up on his own property. Came to me for the signage and I told him I didn't think he was allowed to do this. I declined the job because I didn't want to get in the legal hassle with Lamar.

It's been over five years and the billboards still aren't covered. They're actually rusting away. Makes the property look really bad.

Dave

signswi

The laws aren't just different from state to state but from county to county and city to city. Some cities outright ban billboards within the city limits.

Not a game I'd get into, if there's an area that's profitable it's probably already serviced by Lamar...