• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Billboard Tensioning Systems??

klemgraphics

I have a customer who is wanting to contract us to take care of production and installation of the vinyl flex on a new billboard set they are to be erecting soon, problem is.....they way it is built I'm not sure how to go about mounting the flex.

Previously we have used gripper bars and ratchet straps to tension the vinyl around the frame but I'm not sure it will work in this case.

Size of each face is 12' x24'

Problems that I see:

Access to backside & attachment points for ratchet straps will be limited.

billboard unit will have 4 faces (2 on each side stacked on top of one another) so it will be approximately 32' to the top which will make things interesting with the limited access...I think...

There is just a frame only, no solid backing, which in my opinion just isn't going to cut it.

Anyone have any suggestions for a tension system that would allow installation from the front side only? There will be nice walk planks at the bottom front of each face.

Any other suggestions would be great also, kind of feel in over my head and might be best to just decline the job if I can't figure something out. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I have attached a few pics for reference.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 18, 5 42 54 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 18, 5 42 54 PM.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 169
  • Photo Jun 18, 5 43 04 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 18, 5 43 04 PM.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Photo Jun 18, 5 43 09 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 18, 5 43 09 PM.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 110

FS-Keith

Let them know they need to add a backing of some sort, corogated metal or plywood. Also you can put some angles on the backsides for more attachments. You can at least do the one side of the backing on the ground and maybe have the crane operator flip it over and do te other side before they set it. Then run 1/2 to 3/4" emt and ratchet strap

klemgraphics

How would a person get behind the structure to tension the top of each face? And the bottom of the top one for that matter. The space between the two is only 12" and there will be a catwalk attached there as well. I must be missing something....

Or just had this idea.....what if there were hooks installed on the top where the gripper bars would hold into and just use ratchets at the bottom and sides??

klemgraphics

Just talked to the customer.....

As expected they say they cannot afford the additional cost for plywood or metal....They are convinced that since it is not taking a direct west wind it will hold up.....

Just about ready to walk away....

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Well they sound like they have no budget, i would have recommended the Signcomps retrofit "clip" system, just fitted 11 frames with them. They work great.

Mosh

Don't walk away from this job...RUN!!!!

This is only going to be a headache for you.....NO WAY that will work without a backing.
AND double sided ones are 3'-4' apart not 1'

FS-Keith

How would a person get behind the structure to tension the top of each face? And the bottom of the top one for that matter. The space between the two is only 12" and there will be a catwalk attached there as well. I must be missing something....

Or just had this idea.....what if there were hooks installed on the top where the gripper bars would hold into and just use ratchets at the bottom and sides??

If they are jut sandwiched between 12" I beams as it appears in the pics you just need to go up in the bucket and reach your arms into the top attachments for ther straps. And the same thing for the rest of the perimeter

but yea if they refuse to put a backing on there do not give any warranty of any kind

DoubleDown

It can be done, meaning we've used the structure behind the other structure to attach the straps to, the only real concern is making sure there are NO points that would be stretched over a sharp edge/corner. Essentially the banner would wrap about 2-4" around the edges with pole pockets and then conduit/rods would be ratched to the backside of the other frame across from it.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Just talked to the customer.....

As expected they say they cannot afford the additional cost for plywood or metal....They are convinced that since it is not taking a direct west wind it will hold up.....

Just about ready to walk away....

I wouldn't touch that thing without a backer.
Imagine that sail when it lets loose and covers someones windshield while their driving down the road and they swerve into oncoming traffic...