• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bit for Aluminum

SE SignSupply

Anyone have a recommendation for a bit that will cut .040/.063/.080 aluminum with a baked on enamel, cleanly, for more than a few feet?

We are currently using a Colex HF router and their 532 bit. Our cuts start out looking great, but after a few feet of cutting the baked enamel starts to pull up from the edges rather than cutting cleanly. Anyone have a bit that works well on white/white aluminum sheets? We get great edges on ACM but struggle with solid aluminum sheets.

Thanks!

JBurton

Signtologist
You need coolant/lubricant if you want to cut any appreciable amount of aluminum. In a pinch, you could stand there with a bottle of alcohol and spray a stream on the bit and it'll do fine. This company makes add on misters that work fine, plane and simple setup, or you could tie it to the cnc for automated on/off, but that's a great deal of extra work.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
Anyone have a recommendation for a bit that will cut .040/.063/.080 aluminum with a baked on enamel, cleanly, for more than a few feet?

We are currently using a Colex HF router and their 532 bit. Our cuts start out looking great, but after a few feet of cutting the baked enamel starts to pull up from the edges rather than cutting cleanly. Anyone have a bit that works well on white/white aluminum sheets? We get great edges on ACM but struggle with solid aluminum sheets.

Thanks!
532 is not the proper bjt for this application on the colex. You’ll want to use the 4mm 530. The other option is to use a downcut bit to force the enamel down vs pulling it up with a standard up it.
We train, service and support colex cutters should you need any information regarding your machine we can help

MikePro

your upcut bit for aluminum may still work, if you can just simply route with enamel side face-down. you can always protect the face with some transfer mask if sliding-around your finished surface on a router table feels sketchy.

SE SignSupply

532 is not the proper bjt for this application on the colex. You’ll want to use the 4mm 530. The other option is to use a downcut bit to force the enamel down vs pulling it up with a standard up it.
We train, service and support colex cutters should you need any information regarding your machine we can help
Jim,

Thanks for the advise! Looks like the same bit, just 4mm vs 6mm cutting?

I think you actually did our Colex training when we got the table? Glad to see you are doing well!

SE SignSupply

your upcut bit for aluminum may still work, if you can just simply route with enamel side face-down. you can always protect the face with some transfer mask if sliding-around your finished surface on a router table feels sketchy.
We normally have prints on the aluminum, so normally routing face side up. But that's great advise for non-printed sheets.

SE SignSupply

You need coolant/lubricant if you want to cut any appreciable amount of aluminum. In a pinch, you could stand there with a bottle of alcohol and spray a stream on the bit and it'll do fine. This company makes add on misters that work fine, plane and simple setup, or you could tie it to the cnc for automated on/off, but that's a great deal of extra work.
We have a belt fed machine so I was trying to avoid wet cutting.

JBurton

Signtologist
In my humble opinion, don't cut aluminum on a belt fed machine. No sense in mucking up a high precision machine with chips. Pick up a cheap router and use it for that purpose, keep your finishing equipment primed and ready for finishing.

John Miller

Check out Tools today. Single flute spectra bits. No liquid lube. 18000rpm 72-100 ipm We cut up to 3/4, just do it in multiple passes. Remember, never make a cut equal or larger than the diameter of the bit.

JBurton

Signtologist
Check out Tools today. Single flute spectra bits. No liquid lube. 18000rpm 72-100 ipm We cut up to 3/4, just do it in multiple passes. Remember, never make a cut equal or larger than the diameter of the bit.
Got a part number for a recommended .125" or .25" bit for aluminum. I'd love to blow through .125" aluminum at 72" single pass.