• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

bit the bullet and got a sp540v

2 see signz

ive been doing vinyl cutting for 2 years and contracting out my digital stuff, seems that every job i got back , there was a problem...i could see only one way to fix that, take full responsibility for everything printed.....

i ve had no experience operating a digital machine, this is a huge learning curve, one that im looking forward too....

i was hoping this was a magic machine, so as what ever material goes in, the machine automatically knows what media is in there and sets itself accordingly....:ROFLMAO:

well there's heaps to learn and im glad Ive lurked this forum for ages...
learnt heaps and will learn heaps more...

hopefully one day i can help out the next bloke who finds themselves starting from scratch.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You already have the hard part down......... you know the software and how to set files up.

Learning how to rip.... well, that's a no-brainer, so the only thing left is to push the right buttons for profiles, preferances and learn a few calculations.

It's really..... that easy. :thumb:

Mosh

SSSOOOO, what laminator did you get? No one told you about that $10K part did they???
Yeah, you need another TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS in equipment!!! Sorry to be the one to bust your bubble.
No laminator = no outdoor stuff!!!!

And NO a big squeegie (great tool) is NOT a laminator!!!!

Bly

Way to harsh his buzz Mosh.

Congrats anyway bloke...

Oh yeah and how about colour management equipment?
There's another 2 or 3 grand easy.

Mosh

didn't metion the software, no trying to be a "buzz-kill" just didn't want them to think just getting a printer was making them a sign shop!!!!
That printer alone is not goig to be able to do outdoor signs without another $10-$15K in equipment, it sucks that the printer salesmen don't tell people this...or that people are too stupid to relize it!!! DO RESEARCH!!! Just search SEAL Laminators oh and the learnig curve to run one isn't fun...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
He can get along without a 10k laminator.
A big squeegee or one of the hand cranked $1200 units will keep up with the output of someone just starting out printing.
If all goes well by the time he needs a "real" laminator he will be able to get one.

wayne k
guam usa

2 see signz

Lol mosh, i got an emseal 2r 1650... im not sayin im a sign shop..and im lovin every bit...i drove trucks for to long and hated every minute of it...i spend 12-14 hours a day doin this and yes there are some tring times, but im havin fun and learning every day!

one thing i dont want to do is use some sign shop to learn and then leave, to one day have my own setup...

thanks to this site ive learned heaps and not had to waste someones time.

Btw thanks for the well wishes... and merry christmas all....

Double Diamond

We purchased a slightly used sp540v and I was suprised how easy it is to use. We did ok at first using ink that cost half of roland, but we quickly switched to Roland ink when it caused several problems.These problems were immediatly resolved with an ink cartridge change too.
You will soon be thinking you'd be better off with the vp540 though, just plan ahead and hopefully the slow print speed won't be that much of a issue. We here have some days of not turning it on and then the next day it never stops running for 10 hours. That's the sign biz for ya.
I have found this site to be as helpful if not more sometimes than the tech support we get over the phone. This site is so crucial to so many of us. I too hope to help out some folks in return for the many many times these fine folks have helped me out of a stressful emergency or just giving up of their years of experience to advise us on some issue.:thankyou:

BALLPARK

Roland Versaworks will work just fine for your ripping software.

You can purchase a really good condition 65" laminator ranging from $2500-$4500. I would suggest a 65" Royal Sovereign 1650C (Cold) laminator. They work great and very easy to use. You could buy a Seal for 10K more...but I don't think they are worth the extra money. I have tons of experience with a 13K Seal and a 4K Royal Sovereign. I prefer the Royal and so does my wallet..lol.

Congrats on your first printer. Hope things go well with your projects....