• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black & Cyan print heads not working... replace fuses and able to pull ink

Rednapew

Hello out there in Rolandland... I need help, advise.... some kind of life line here. My VP540 is being an ***.... the black and cyan print head are not working the pump is fine... i switched tubes below the capping station to test... I have replaced the 3.15A fuses and the 2A fuse... I was able to pull ink through both black and cyan so the vacuum seal is intact... i replaced both 21 pin cable cards to the cyan print head, replaced 24 pin cable card from main board to the control panel, also replace 36 pin cable cards from the main board to the print head carriage.... everything runs fine it cuts, it prints yellow and magenta.... the fuses are fine... but the black and cyan are not printing....\
I am "soaking" them now... clamped the hoses below capping station and filled the caps with cleaning solution... am I missing something?
did I forget to do something in my reassembly? i should say i disconnected the black and cyan cable cards at one time. i broke a nozzle on a print head manifold while trying to reinstall the cyan print head.... i disconnected the black print head but did not pull it.... but they will not print now (cyan & black)

gregwallace

Are you sure you changed the right fuses? You shouldve had to solder them. If you are sure then do a data swap. Switch the output end of the ribbons going to the working head with the output end of the non working head. If the problem stays with the head than the head is bad. If it moves to the good head then its probably a board.

Rednapew

Are you sure you changed the right fuses? You shouldve had to solder them. If you are sure then do a data swap. Switch the output end of the ribbons going to the working head with the output end of the non working head. If the problem stays with the head than the head is bad. If it moves to the good head then its probably a board.

There was no need to sodder on my mainboard.... the tiny rectangular block fuses are seated in cradles on the mainboard already... my VP540 is old however not that old that it still had the main board that required soddering. I am going to try resetting the head rank in service mode.

FrankW

Have you checked the fuses? Perhaps something different is wrong what blows the fuses everytime you replace them? Can be easily done with most Voltmeters.

Have you pulled ink through the heads with a syringe at the tubes of the cap tops? For being shure that the heads are filled with ink?

Resetting the head rank is completely useless in such cases.

Have the Problem started after replacing a head?

Could be too that the mainboard is damaged.

gregwallace

Oh so I thought the vp was like the sp with black and cyan on the same head. Well can you pull the heads and swap say cyan and magenta? Or if it would be easier just switch the ribbons so that cyan is receiving magenta data and vice versa? Either of these tests would rule out a lot. And soaking your heads wont be necessary. If you dont have a single black or cyan nozzle on your test print then either the heads are bad or you have an electrical issue. Well most of the time. And make sure the machine is off and completely disconnected from its power source or you will blow a fuse.

Rednapew

Thank you about the tip on swapping the ribbons... the fuses are fine... everything is working well... the only things not working are the black and cyan print heads... i have pulled ink with a syringe through both heads below the capping stations... the i changed the manifold on the cyan print head because i broke the one of the nozzles when recovering the print head from being totally clogged up.... it is not clogged anymore... I unplugged all 4 cable card/ribbons from the black and cyan printheads and now both do not work... the fuse is fine, the cutting function is fine, yellow and magenta work fine... so i will try swapping the cables to see it I have problems with broken print heads... after i try resetting the head ranks though

I should mention I unplugged the cable cards to the black print head to give myself more room to move when pulling the cyan head to recover it... the black ink level reads in the control panel and in Versaworks RIP... the blue ink level reads on the control panel... but in Versaworks read as empty... is is a new cartridge... ummm that is all the info i have to give, hope i didn't miss anything...

Last edited:

Rednapew

Have you checked the fuses? Perhaps something different is wrong what blows the fuses everytime you replace them? Can be easily done with most Voltmeters.

Have you pulled ink through the heads with a syringe at the tubes of the cap tops? For being shure that the heads are filled with ink?

Resetting the head rank is completely useless in such cases.

Have the Problem started after replacing a head?

Could be too that the mainboard is damaged.

100% sure i changed the correct fuses.... the fuses are still intact and are not blowing at all. and I did pull ink through the heads below the capping stations... also the dampers did charge with ink at the same level as the yellow and magenta... the black and cyan just are not printing...