• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black Looks Green

biggieg

Here is the deal. I am designing in Corel (CMYK) and printing through Versaworks to my SP540V. The blacks (100% K) look greenish in the sunlight. I played around and added 25C & 25M to 100K and it looks ok inside but still outside it has a greenish tinge. I tried several different profiles and media settings with no luck. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

petepaz

the best black i get on my roland
is when i put all settings to 100% in illustr.
c=100 m=100 y=100 k=100
for all black and that is usually pretty good
also you could change you press setting to max density

gabagoo

I get a rich black using about 60% of cmy and 90% of K.

While we are on this subject, how come illustrator files I get always have black as simply 100K? Photoshop, another Adobe product does it differently and makes it richer for printing. There must be a reason why?

This is one of the most misunderstood topics that I have seen repeated references to. The fact that you build a color in a design application using CMYK build values (percentages) does not mean that the printer will output those percentages of CMY and K ink.

In fact, when you print using a Media Profile (using an ICC Profile), the printer will virtually never print ink using the CMYK values specified in the file. When using a color Managed workflow, those CMYK values will be internally converted into LAB color space (this occurs in the RIP), and then a second conversion occues, back to CMYK, using the ink limits, linearization, and ICC Profile information available for the specific combination of printer, ink, media and resolution that the printer is operating at. It is possible to turn off these color transformations, but doing so can and will often times cause other color problems.

The problem that the original poster is referring to is being caused by metamerism. The solution is to use a color setup that uses more black ink and less cyan and yellow ink in creating the black.

Bob

QuickSignsSA

Here is the deal. I am designing in Corel (CMYK) and printing through Versaworks to my SP540V. The blacks (100% K) look greenish in the sunlight. I played around and added 25C & 25M to 100K and it looks ok inside but still outside it has a greenish tinge. I tried several different profiles and media settings with no luck. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I remember one day I used "bordeaux inks" aftermarket in my roland, and they printed gree, the black did. Are you using oem?

I had a similar problem when I did a test print with oem ink this past summer. One look outside and the customer and I decided no way that will work. It turned out to be a big mess. I was wondering if they changed the formula for the inks or something because it seemed to not have that problem beforehand. I am still puzzled to why my black seems to have a green tint now.

luggnut

bob is right ... the RIP will translate the file to get the colors.
cmyk values will be translated how do you think RGB files get printed. your profile is the issue.

more than likely rgb black... 100% k blk will print the same color..

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Most profiles have ink limits of 220% or less, and the more ink you put down the more it costs. Using 100 each of CMYK is expensive and you never know which and/or what combo of colors the profile will clip to get to the 220. My black is C 60 M 30 Y 0 K 100 (why would you use yellow in black?) Do not use this black for a fade because it has a blue tint.

Just wait until you try and print grey with your solvent printer.

And always laminate final proof and customer color approval. 3M's luster had a significant yellow tint and would shift colors.

Border

I set all my blacks to a cmyk value of 50, 50 50, 100 and get great results printing in house or subbing it out. This is known as Rich Black as far as what I've been told by a few wholesale printers. No glitches ever with those values, yet.

StreamlineDesign

I think that depends on who's doing the printing, and with what machinery they're using Border Patrol. We sub some stuff out to a printer that says:

"Rich black is an ink mixture of solid black, 100% K, with additional CMY ink values. This results in a darker tone than black ink alone. If you print black alone as 100% K, the resulting black may not be as dark as you might like. We recommend using C 60 M 40 Y 40 K 100 This will give you a deep, dark, rich black."

ddarlak

Go Bills!
65% of CMY and 100% of K with color correction turn OFF is what i have used for years...

i have color correction turned off 99.875% of the time....

bulk inks from china $42 a liter including shipping from supercf.com used in a self converted ageless dinosaur -> FJ-50!!!!

Melodie.pixel

Hi, I have run into this problem also I own a SC-500

I fixed it now but when i receive file to print from graphic's box it's always a light black or dark gray if you prefer lol but before it was a forest green almost... I only changed my profiles, I took the ones from Roland dga site and replaced the ones i got from the "supposed to know what they do" shop i bought my machine gave me ICC profiles that i figured was for my machine alright but wrong ink settings :s ICC for solvant ink should not be prefered for a machine swiched to eco-sol inks, with the ICC for Roland SC-500/CC/eco-sol max/media Black is now black (except illustrator) and grays are grays

That's how it worked for me ;)
Melodie

biggieg

Update...

This may sound crazy but it worked... I design in CMYK (50 50 0 100), export eps as RGB and the colors have never looked so good. I talked with a friend tonight and they do just the opposite, design in RGB and export as CMYK. :Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh

Melodie.pixel

Colors are just crazy! my husband is for all the best he's 100% colorblind the best man to work in the sign buisness! people say we're crasy but who's not in this buisness lol
glad to hear it worked
Mel