• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black Printable reflective?

edgette

I can understand that, but how are they getting the full color image underneath? In normal light they look (more or less) black but when you hit them with a flashlight they show the full color print underneath.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I used to Edge-print red transparent foils on black reflective to produce a DOT-like stripe that looked black during the day.

oldgoatroper

I can understand that, but how are they getting the full color image underneath? In normal light they look (more or less) black but when you hit them with a flashlight they show the full color print underneath.

The key thing to remember is that the colour is not underneath -- its on top.

Its just that when you print a red or blue transparent foil on the black reflective, you can barely see it -- because its black underneath. But at night, when you hit it with light, the black reflects back white light and the wherever there is transparent foils laid over, the black reflects the colour of the foil.

If you are screenprinting on black reflective, make sure to use transparent inks. And stick to solid basic colours.

There's nothing more to it than that.

MikePro

OR you can just print on regular reflective, and laminate with window tint?
kind of like the cell phone screen covers that are chrome foil, to look like a mirror when the phone is off, but shows the light through when turned on/activated.

edgette

I read the descrip. I would have to seen one
and do some reverse engineering

If you go to the link and look at the very top image it shows what they look like.

What if I were to print on clear vinyl with my eco-solvent printer and apply that to black reflective? Wouldn't that be similar to what you're talking about with the edge printer?

MikePro

If you go to the link and look at the very top image it shows what they look like.

What if I were to print on clear vinyl with my eco-solvent printer and apply that to black reflective? Wouldn't that be similar to what you're talking about with the edge printer?
sounds about right to me. black reflective illuminates white'ish.

oldgoatroper

That would have the same end result but if you can print directly on your black reflective, why would you bother with the extra steps?

edgette

I'm not seeing the black reflective in my books as being printable. I'd have to look around a little more to see if I can find some that is printable but for a small run it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me to do that.

MikePro

nah, don't bother. try a test piece of clear print laminated to black reflective and i bet this is exactly what you're looking for.
i, however, print on "unprintable" reflective all the time. just take a bit of tweaking with your settings to make sure it comes out clean.