• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black pvc sheet 1" cut letters in sunlight - paint or no paint?

Jorgo

HOW COLORFAST IS BLACK PVC SHEET?
Customer wants letters cut for a sign replacement on an apartment bldg.
Naturally, looking for least expensive options, wants to install himself etc etc.. I suggested
1" PVC sheet letters cut on our CNC. I can't find info on how stable the black color is in direct sunlight.
If they're just going to grey slightly in a few years, I'm wonder if that's going to still be better than paint will hold up in the
direct sunlight for years.

Any insights opinions or advice are much appreciated. We are more of a Display, fixture and Point of Sale model than Signmaking shop.

Cheers,

Jorgo

letterman7

Depending on the size, they will buckle eventually. The edges will grey before the surface. I've had similar situations; I've always put a topcoat of black paint on black pvc. Seems counterproductive, but on the edges makes all the difference.

rossmosh

Any color PVC is not rated for outdoor use. If you're looking for a cost effective option 1" white exterior grade PVC painted with a good black paint should be more than sufficient. Make sure you get exterior grade. Typically it's glossy although there are a few exceptions to that rule.

This should be much more cost effective than acrylic even when you add the additional step of painting. Only other advise I would give is to drill your stud holes a little larger than normal as the black PVC will move a bit more than many other materials.

Jorgo

Thank you!

Excellent advice. Thank you for sharing. I will make sure to give them the option of having them painted and advise accordingly if they take them raw.

have a great weekend!

Jorgo