• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black streaks??? WTH?

kevint2005

This has recently started happening. Mutoh 1624x machine. From the rollers to where the platen it's perfectly clean, but then where the printhead is working back and forth it begins doing this random streaking effect. It's sometimes the direction of the rollers and sometimes the direction of the printhead. I've cleaned it thoroughly, printhead edges, rollers, my exhaust fan system on the printer, no fuzz or anything on the printhead that i can see at all. It did this really bad in the attached pictures last night, then after this job finished i printed a banner and it was literally perfect. No streaking in the white areas whatsoever so makes me think it's this vinyl possibly. Other note, the printhead/dampers are basically brand new, it was all replaced 3 months ago, so no nozzle deflection or anything. It has a perfect test print.
Any ideas? I'm going to try a different profile on my next print to see if it helps. If not then i will experiment with a different media. This here is Substance viny which i've loved everything about so far except this print quality i'm having.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5902.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5902.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 187
  • thumbnail_IMG_5901.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5901.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 143
  • thumbnail_IMG_5898.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5898.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 150
  • thumbnail_IMG_5897.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5897.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 136
  • thumbnail_IMG_5896.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5896.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 160

Ogre

On my Mimaki CJV150 I found a small ball of dust and fibres formed under the media jam sensor. Every time the sensor travelled over the capping station, the fibres took a bit of ink from the capping then smear it on the media. It was just chance to see the small ball of dust and fibres caught underneath. Once the dust removed the streaking disappeared.

Kbrecken

you can also check these guys out, they might have a product you could retrofit to your device to eliminate static on the device / media,

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Far more likely that static, gamma rays from the moon, or a Gypsy curse is a chunk of crud hanging from some part of the head carriage.

unclebun

Far more likely that static, gamma rays from the moon, or a Gypsy curse is a chunk of crud hanging from some part of the head carriage.
The OP says he thoroughly cleaned the whole printhead and carriage area and there is no fuzz present. In addition, fuzz on the printhead/carriage usually presents as discrete droplets and will also occur on the edges of the material outside the print area, on the hold-down devices, anywhere the carriage goes. The ghostly, misty "overspray" from static stays around the print area.