• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black to Red fade looks Black to Orange

SEOR

For the life of me, I cant figure this out. I create a rectangle with a left(black) to right(red) fade. When exported and printed in Versaworks, the red is orange'ish.

Any suggestions?

My Red: C5/M100/Y100/B4
My Black R0/G0/B0

Donny7833

Not sure what program your creating in, but here's something to try. I use Illustrator on a Mac.

Add the solid red to the black side of the gradient. So one side should be say 100m and 100y and the other side 100m, 100y and 100k.

Or, make a solid red box, copy and paste to front, fill with a black to white vignette and set the top box to multiply.

Hope this helps.

Also, remember that when making gradients, keep to either CMYK or RGB. Rips have trouble calculating a RGB to CMYK blend, as well as PMS to CMYK or RGB.

luggnut

the red you can get in RGB is not achievable in CMYK so depending on how you rip is set to handle the out of gamut colors it can turn a bright RGB red into a orangish CMYK. if the fade is being rendered perceptual and you have designed in RGB... i see you listed the values for your red and blk and one is CMYK and the other is RGB are you designing in RGB? and what design programs? if the fade is treated as a raster or raster effect most rips render rasters perceptual as the default.

ProColorGraphics

I had the same issue in Illustrator. I did exactly what Donny did. Make the red box in the back solid red and add a copy of the box right on top and fill it with the solid black. I used a gradient mask to make it seem to fade from black to transparent. The red came out great and the black was solid black without the crappy muddy look where they would normally blend together.