• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black Vinyl Grid - Help Please

jkdbjj

What would be the best way to do this black vinyl project?

I thought this would be an easy one, but upon getting the job, I am stumped as to the path of least resistance.

How would you do this job?

I don't have the option of printing onto clear.
photo2.jpg

Pro Image

Copy and past your lines at equal distance both horizontal and vertical weld and cut.....pull out the boxes......done....

Billct2

In Gerber it's an easy job, just repeat the lines at the distance you want, contour (weld), cut/weed/apply

jkdbjj

So using those ideas, what I am doing is this.
I created a background grid in ILLY.

Then I created a set of boxes for the top row and to left most column to fill just the inside areas of the grid.
I then copied and pasted the squares over and down to fill up the grid background.

I am then guessing, I will delete the grid, save as EPS and sent to cutter, and get an employee to weed 800 squares.

Oh my, I am glad I charged accordingly for this one.

Seems like I am on the right path from what you all are suggesting. Even you Colorado. One of those jobs I almost regret, but hope it leads to more work with these folks. First time job, eeek.

HulkSmash

that'd be a nightmare on my plotter only because after about 11 feet it starts drifting so i have to do it in pieces.

C

ColoPrinthead

Doesn't Illy have a step and repeat feature?

(serious question....cuz I've yet to find one.)

Ctrl +D works okay but it's still way more work than saying repeat this object 10 times with this space in between.
Object>Transform>Move, select the option to copy then Ctrl-D for each occurrence needed.
edit: I see you mentioned the same thing.

jkdbjj

So here is what my meddling around with the grid function in ILLY produced.

If I send this to the cutter it will simply cut the squares out.

Not the funnest job, but at least I see light down the tunnel now.

grid.jpg

jkdbjj

So this job sucked. Turned out well enough, but it has led to some other good work with them.

All the sales guys there didn't want it up, cause they said it made the customers feel like numbers, however the bosses want it up there to keep them motivated.
Wonder how long it will stay up?

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

sfr table hockey

Doesn't Illy have a step and repeat feature?

(serious question....cuz I've yet to find one.)

Ctrl +D works okay but it's still way more work than saying repeat this object 10 times with this space in between.

A few days late but I think what you are after is in the blend mode. Make two lines or shapes, then Object>Blend>Blend options and set either # of steps or distance or color etc, then once set go back into (object>make) or use the short cuts (alt-ctrl-B).

Once you made your set lines you can exspand them and ungroup to be able to edit each line if needed. If you don't exspand they stay linked.

jkdbjj

Came out nice. Did you have to do the weeding?

I did, all honesty it took about 20 minutes to weed. I just assumed it would have been longer.
Installation was trickier than I thought it would be. Mainly, the windows had a waxy film that even alcohol had trouble getting rid of, so naturally the strips like that were trouble if I missed a spot of wax.

Unusual project for me, so love/hate kind of thing. Hate the tedious parts of it, but love the challenge.