• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Black Vinyl on Car Windows

Bigdawg

Just Me
I would not recommend it. We painted our windows in TN with a lovely Christmas scene one winter and it cracked them. The window guy told us that the cold outside and the warmth inside was the cause and the paint did not give for expansion/contraction. He likened it to putting a hot glass pan in a bucket of cold water. I would expect the same thing to happen with vinyl.

graphix45

I have covered the bottom half or top half of several store front windows and never had any problems and I also have a solid 8-9" wide black strip across the top of the windshield on my truck with no problems. I have had the strip on my truck for 3-4 years now. I did have a customer with a truck, paint the inside of his back glass...He had a wall full of speakers so he couldn't see out anyway and just wanted to hide the back side. As far as I know he didn't have an issue.

SFS Production

Production Manager
I have covered the bottom half or top half of several store front windows and never had any problems and I also have a solid 8-9" wide black strip across the top of the windshield on my truck with no problems. I have had the strip on my truck for 3-4 years now. I did have a customer with a truck, paint the inside of his back glass...He had a wall full of speakers so he couldn't see out anyway and just wanted to hide the back side. As far as I know he didn't have an issue.
Thank you for your help.

SFS Production

Production Manager
I didn't think it was a good idea either. Thank you.

SFS Production

Production Manager
I just called our local glass shop and they said that the back windows are tempered and that they will take up to 800 degrees and that it should be fine. Strange, I always heard not to. So I guess if the customer wants it and I don't have to take the responsibility then I guess it's a go.

Notnormal

We have a customer that did the back windows of his jeep in all black vinyl with no problems. we didnt do the install but we will be removing it for window perf.

rjssigns

It varies from state to state. Here in Utah you can paint all the windows behind the driver black and you wouldn't get in trouble. It's no different than driving a work van without any rear windows, really.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. In Wisconsin anything from the drivers shoulder back is fair game.