• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

blacks look posterized

DGDesigns

I am printing high resolution jpeg files from a camera with a Roland SP 540i printer and I notice that the black areas look like I added a "posterize" effect instead of printing smooth transitions. Any ideas why??

bull-deano

I am printing high resolution jpeg files from a camera with a Roland SP 540i printer and I notice that the black areas look like I added a "posterize" effect instead of printing smooth transitions. Any ideas why??

Try changing the rendering intent to preceptual, the direction to uni direction and the halftone to error diffusion. Also, make sure your color profiles are the same i.e: The image is in Adobe RGB format (as per pre-press us defaults).

EDIT: What are you printing on and what profiles?

DGDesigns

I am printing on Roland ESM-SGP3-Solvent Glossy Paper using the Roland profile that material listed in Versaworks.

Making those changes you recommended definitely got rid of the posterized effect, but some of the lighter gray tones have a reddish hue to them. Is that a problem from with matching color profiles from the camera?? The photo file is sRGB

bull-deano

Could well be the conversion from sRGB to Adobe RGB. Bring the image into Photoshop (or similar) and convert it to Adobe RGB. I would also consider installing the Roland profile by locating it in the Versaworls installion folder, right clicking it and choosing install. In Photoshop (unsure about other programs) you will then be able to soft proof the image using that ICC profile. This will give you a good preview of how the image will print. Be cautious though, this method works best with a calibrated monitor. If you don't have a calibrated monitor I would suggest purchasing a Colormunki or Huey Pro.

EDIT: Alternatively, in the Quality tab in Versaworks under color calibration option choose properties and select sRGB in the color simulation target dropdown. This may help.

DGDesigns

Great advice. I do have Photoshop and was getting ready to purchase the color calibration tool. Thanks again