• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Blade force on very thick overlaminate

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
Hi,
I have some orders on some stickers that need that thick overlaminate material. I laminated them with an overlaminate called Substance Inc. Ultracurve® 1500S. I need to use my Graphtec to cut these stickers out. It has a 60-degree blade on it to cut thick materials. What blade force is correct for very thick vinyls and overlaminates?

Snydo

Your force setting will probably be as high as you can go, and also set your speed to as SLOW as you can go.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
That you'll have to experiment with, there's no "one pressure works on every machine". Do test cuts, increase pressure till it weeds easy, clean, and you can just see a line where the blade hits the backer. With thick media or lam, slow it down too, cutting too fast will just cause jamming, shifting, jagged edges...

trafficbarriersolutions

That you'll have to experiment with, there's no "one pressure works on every machine". Do test cuts, increase pressure till it weeds easy, clean, and you can just see a line where the blade hits the backer. With thick media or lam, slow it down too, cutting too fast will just cause jamming, shifting, jagged edges...
I have increased it all the way to max 48 and it is still not enough. The type of blade that is being used is a GA9UB60 60-degree blade. However, I think Substance Incorporated recommends a Graphtec blade called CB15UA-K30 for this type of overlaminate material. I think this blade is a thicker 60-degree steel blade. Would this be the blade to use rather than the GA9UB60?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have increased it all the way to max 48 and it is still not enough. The type of blade that is being used is a GA9UB60 60-degree blade. However, I think Substance Incorporated recommends a Graphtec blade called CB15UA-K30 for this type of overlaminate material. I think this blade is a thicker 60-degree steel blade. Would this be the blade to use rather than the GA9UB60?
Then extend the blade a bit. The proper setup is some combination of down force and blade extension. One size most certainly does not fit all.

trafficbarriersolutions

Then extend the blade a bit. The proper setup is some combination of down force and blade extension. One size most certainly does not fit all.
How do you extend the blade? Do you extend it on the Graphtec or on your cut settings on the software you use? I use FlexiSign.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I don't run a graphtec, but they're all the same. A 60 degree blade is more for std vinyls. Sometimes they'll work in a pinch for heavy stuff, but it's not really meant for it. The 45 degree blades are for slightly heavier material, and the 30 degree blades are for thicker stuff like reflective, sandblast mask material, which is what you'll want to use. Make sure the blade is protruding from the holder far enough to penetrate the material, but not too far or it'll just cause problems. It takes a bit of experimenting to get thicker stuff dialed in. For one customer I do reflective with a thick polycarb lam, I just got another blade holder and have it set up just for that with a 30 degree so I don't have to fiddle with it when they place a large order, just throw it in, set my pressure & speed and go.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
How do you extend the blade? Do you extend it on the Graphtec or on your cut settings on the software you use? I use FlexiSign.
Turn the blade length adjustment knob on the blade holder clockwise to extend and, of course, counter clockwise to retract. Each turn is supposed to be 0,5mm. Careful, a little bit is a lot when diddling the blade length. Turn it an 1/8" or so until it cuts the material and leaves an impression on the backing but doesn't actually cut the surface. Ideally.

trafficbarriersolutions

Turn the blade length adjustment knob on the blade holder clockwise to extend and, of course, counter clockwise to retract. Each turn is supposed to be 0,5mm. Careful, a little bit is a lot when diddling the blade length. Turn it an 1/8" or so until it cuts the material and leaves an impression on the backing but doesn't actually cut the surface. Ideally.
That solved it! Thank you so much!

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
Having run substance laminate through my graphtec in the past for helmet decals, I'd suggest you may have to do a couple of passes. I found that I got a cleaner cut that way rather than trying to power through it all in one hit.

Saturn

Aging Member
Having run substance laminate through my graphtec in the past for helmet decals, I'd suggest you may have to do a couple of passes. I found that I got a cleaner cut that way rather than trying to power through it all in one hit.
Agree. I've run a 21mil combo as a test before, and wouldn't do it in less than a triple pass personally. I run a Summa, but I'm keen on 45° blades for everything.