Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade Replacement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Plotters' started by captainron19, Jul 21, 2008.

When Do You Change the blade on your plotter?

1. At the start of each new customer job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I wait Until the blade dulls and shows signs of need for replacement.

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. captainron19

captainron19 Member

May 11, 2005
    captainron19
    Just wondering and thought I would create a poll to receive feedback. When do you replace the blade on your plotter. I know it has a lot to do with material being cut (ie reflective) but just curious. I hear from some people they change out their blade after every individual job and start a new customer job with a fresh blade and include the cost of the new blade in with the estimate.

Tags:
  2. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I can get my blades to last well over 6 months. I don't use them for reflective. I have a secondary blade holder for that. I can't imagine changing blades for each job, what a waste!!!. I generally don't like changing blades as I find new blades "too sharp". Real hard to fine tune them. After a few days of cutting they dull a bit to where I like them and then last a long time.

3. captainron19

captainron19 Member

May 11, 2005
    captainron19
    I feel exactly the same way - I actually have a Gerber Graphix 2 old machine I use for incidental letters and nuumbers and I havent changed the blade on that machine in 2 years and it is still cutting strong