• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blade scraping on media clamps?

Bryce I

I'm Brie
we've been replacing cut blades at an alarming rate on our roland truevis vg-540. at first i thought it was due to too much pressure when cutting, but after replacing the strip, the blade, and dialing back the pressure, realized something else is breaking the blades. took a close look at the media clamps, and both of them have a mark directly under where the blade passes over them. this is happening when printing, not cutting.
i think when printing on thicker media like banner, there's not enough distance between the clamps and the blade. everything appears to be resting where it should be though. one person looked at it and asked if the blade we're using (13 45) is too long. that doesn't seem right to me, but i can see how it appears that way. has anyone run into this?
thanks. pictures below.

thumbnail
thumbnail

Joe House

Hey Bryce,
If this is under warranty, make sure you get with your dealer for service on it. It could be one of several things - cutter solenoid, cut carriage cable, servo board or just a loose connection somewhere.
If it's not under warranty, then you just start by checking things like, how does the cutter head behave without power turned on, check all cable connections with power off and unplugged, then step up based on what you find - replace the cut carriage cable, replace servo board, replace cutter head solenoid (requires calibration after being replaced).

Good Luck,

Joe

woolly

we've been replacing cut blades at an alarming rate on our roland truevis vg-540. at first i thought it was due to too much pressure when cutting, but after replacing the strip, the blade, and dialing back the pressure, realized something else is breaking the blades. took a close look at the media clamps, and both of them have a mark directly under where the blade passes over them. this is happening when printing, not cutting.
i think when printing on thicker media like banner, there's not enough distance between the clamps and the blade. everything appears to be resting where it should be though. one person looked at it and asked if the blade we're using (13 45) is too long. that doesn't seem right to me, but i can see how it appears that way. has anyone run into this?
thanks. pictures below.

thumbnail
thumbnail
what Joe said but this used to happen on my vs after double checking the tool height adjustment found to be ok and only just enough blade showing i dont fit the knife holder all the way down to the shoulder by 1mm as the allowance is only 2.5mm - thick material a bit of blade and the media clamp soon take up the said amount.
also if like the vs clamps make sure the spacer strip (clear vinyl) under the clamp is not riding on the media by having them to far over the media.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I would toss the media clamps. Not because the blade issue but wait till one jumps up and ruins a print head. We ran them for a while and ate not one but 2 sets of heads.... Roland tech through them in the trash.