• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blaster Cabinet: does anyone use these?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

James Burke

yeah, definitely excited about using it now and finding things to blast.

It's an addiction and, when done correctly, can be a profitable one.

I always marvel at what can be accomplished with such a relatively simple piece of equipment

JB

Joe Crumley

Greetings Everyone,

Building a blast cabinet is fun and easy. The one in the photo is 12' wide with re-movable plex viewing screens. I made this one with "Hoola Skirts" which allows me to put my arms in the cabinet for blasting. With the end removed we could walk into the booth. I had the complete booth welded up from 1.5" angle iron for $450. The removeable plex viewing screens allowed for quick removal of panels to be blasted.

100cfm is a minimum air supply for larger work. You'll also need a good vacuum to clear the dust from the air. In this pix you'll see a grain frame but that was never as interesting as wood grain. I've made a half dozen grain frames with lots of different gauges wire. It takes a full day no matter what.

Please don't use sand for blasting. It's down right dangerous. A better choice is Slag or Glass Beads. They won't cause silicosis.

Happy blasting.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Attachments

• jcrumley-2006501624.jpg
    jcrumley-2006501624.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 79
  • jcrumley-2006021641-5.jpg
    jcrumley-2006021641-5.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 86

slappy

was planning on using sand... breathed fiberglass dust my entire childhood not to mention resin and paint from the time i was 3 till 20 almost when my dad had a fiberglass shop ... so i'm sure i'll have something eventually maybe someday, luckily my dad hasn't gotten anything yet cause "those were the days when you didn't wear mask and didn't know what things caused..." but i still love the smell of resin and fiberglass if i smell it, just reminds me of things :)

i will wear a mask however no matter what i use. Thankyou for pointing out that because i'd probably would have thought nothing of it.

James Burke

was planning on using sand...

White "industrial sand" is pure silica and is bad to use in an indoor cabinet....and besides, it will be too coarse for fine etching. Outdoors, with a good respirator or with a safe air system, it's ok to use.

You can purchase Aluminum oxide at farm supply stores or industrial suppliers.

But no matter what media you use, dust is still dust and must be treated as a safety hazard. Always wear a respirator.

JB

Joe Crumley

Making a SB cabinet isn't all that difficult or expensive but it's only the first step. You'll need a big vacuum and plenty of air. Blast media can be costly. Silicone Carbide sell for about 40 bucks a bag and you'll need several bags to get started. Glass beads, which are my favorite, run about 20 bucks. Slag doesn't cut as fast but is about 12 bucks.

One of the beauties of a good cabinet, you can blast in the winter and on rainy days. I blasted for years in awful weather. I tried to find some one who'd please me with blasting. Never found that person so I ended up pleasing myself. It was hard mean work. Now I have a router and there's no going back.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Attachments

• Hemmingways.jpg
    Hemmingways.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 70

John L

Ive made two over the years just by making up what I needed right here but TIP Sandblast Equipment in Ohio sells the gloves, sealing rings, windows, lights, etc that you might need to do your own.

Joe Crumley

Greeting Sign Souls,

Let me back up a moment on this topic: To set up for basting on sign of any size isn't economical for part timers. The best option might be to send out the gritty blasting process.

For me blasting needs to be deep. Shallow depth looks less impressive. There in lies the problem since SB mask which often fail or comes off.

The reason these signs retail for so much is the number of steps and time it takes. Also it the price of all the materials. This isn't an economical way to build a sign. All my clients are targeted which means they have expendable income and are looking for a custom image.

Since I only make dimensional signs, it's necessary to find niche markets like Bed & Breakfasts, Dental Clinics, Dr. Offices, Rest Homes, Attorneys, Chiropractors, etc.

Good samples are very helpful.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

PS: I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from the joy of building these beautiful sign but the hard facts are it's an involved process. I encourage anyone to give it a try. You might get caught up in it.