Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blasting mask from hell

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by signmeup, Oct 8, 2009.

1. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I'm working on an HDU sign with blasted in lettering. The mask The Supplier sent me is a real challenge to say the least. They claim it's made by Anchor but don't know what the type is(wtf?) It is a light tan colour 30" wide with punch holes. OK, so what? Well it also comes with a mylar backing that will not work in a friction feed plotter. Great. I have a friction feed plotter. So I cut off 1/2" of rubber(?) from each side of the sheet but leave the backer. Problem solved. It cuts and weeds quite nicely. Now I try to mask it. I forgot to mention earlier.... it has a white powder all over it presumabley so it won't stick to itself while in the roll. That got all over me, my work table, my plotter...you name it....

Well the premask won't stick to this stuff even though I washed it off as best I could with rapid tac and paper towels. I had to premask it twice to get it to stick. Then I discovered(thankfully by testing in a small spot near the edge) that if you leave it on the panel to be blasted for very long it softens the acrlyic latex paint and said paint comes right off when you pull off the mask. So I applied the mask and did my blasting and immediatley removed the mask while playing a heat gun over it. So now I have one side of the sign done.

Does anyone know of a nice user friendly masking film I can purchase..... preferably in Canada. I can't bear to use this stuff again.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I use that stuff all the time (anchor 117) - with friction feed, just put the rollers on the rubber not the mylar...when its done blasting, I paint then peel right away. I usually double cut it with a 60deg. blade. and yeah. clean with rubbing alcohol prior to masking

3. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than use that stuff again. I found just the opposite to what you said about the placement of the wheels. If they are on the rubber it won't feed no way no how. It worked great with the wheels on the mylar edges that I had to cut myself.

4. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    hmm. might want to try the anchor light blue (dont know the number sorry)

5. N2Harpz

N2Harpz Very Active Member

Dec 3, 2006
    If that is the stuff we used ... it is on a clear backing and ours was rolled backwards. (clear was to the outside and on top when I put it in the plotter.) I hated that stuff.... LOL

We use this mask from Hartco... s425-s We get it from Neon Engineering in Cincinnati

6. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Yup....that's how it came. The powder was hidden inside.....waiting to defile everything in its path. What the f is that powder for anyway?

7. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    stop it from sticking

8. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Has it got powder on it?

9. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Works great for that! Why would I want it to not stick is the greater question.:rolleyes:

10. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    nah to stop the rubber from sticking to the back of the backing...most (if not all; can't remember one that doesn't) sb masks I have seen are treated that way...just gotta clean it...it's a pain, but probably a worse pain would be to have a 10yd roll that couldn't unroll due to sticking to itself...

11. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    The only other mask I have used is Hartco 425. It had no powder. I can't get 425 locally anymore. The guy that sold me this stuff said they don't make it anymore.

12. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    You should eb able to call hartco to see if they still make it & then they should be able to point you in the direction of a local distributor that they sell it to. My work is about 1/4 mile from them but we don't use any of their stuff here... I know Proveer sells their stuff in the USA, no idea about Canada.

13. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    We used the Anchor for many years. To mask it, clean off the powder with alcohol and use box sealing tape as premask with a slight overlap. It works to hold it together when you transfer it and peels off readily once the rubber is adhered to the substrate.

14. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Could be Anthrax. I'd contact the local authorities, tell them to bring xacto knives and Cipro

15. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    It's not anthrax....I'd be dead by now if it was. I bought some more Hartco. No dust on it.

16. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member

Aug 9, 2007

:roflmao:

17. kustomsigns&designs

kustomsigns&designs Member

Feb 28, 2007
    I have been using the Hartco 530 HS and it works awesome! No problems with the premask sticking and it has a thick plastic backing that is very difficult for the cutter to cut through. We have gone through 3 30" rolls with no problems.

18. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Call ND see what they are charging? If it is really expensive let me know, sometimes I can cut a deal with my sales rep