• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blending Two Images in Photoshop Tutorial

Bigdawg

Just Me
Okay - here is a Photoshop 7 step-by-step complete with pix.

1. Make sure each photo is on a seperate layer. Put the picture you want to fade on top. Click on the quick mask button on the bottom of the layers palette.

Fade2.jpg

2. Notice the new image in the layer palette next to the image you are going to mask. Also note that the foreground is now white and the background is now black.

3. Select the gradient tool and choose "foreground to background" from the gradient choice.

fade3.jpg

4. Click where you want the dark part of the fade to start and then drag your mouse to where you want the fade in to be complete. If you want a straight fade, hold down the shift key when you drag.

fade4.jpg

5. When you are done, click on the small image in the layer palette to continue working with the picture instead of the mask.

fade5.jpg

If you need to redo the fade away, in the layer palette, click on the small picture of the image mask and then click on the garbage can at the bottom. It will ask if you want to apply the layer mask before deleting. Click on no and the picture will be as you originally started.

fade6.jpg

hope it doesn't take too long to load...

Last edited:

threeputt

Stacy!!! That tutorial is off the charts! Easy to follow. I really do appeciate it. My project has gone from "stall mode" to back on track.

Thanks to everyone else who helped also. I love this place.

signgal

I don't get it... my fade sucks! I refuse to believe I'm this lame! I can see the edge of the top picture on the other one. it's not a soft fad into the other picture like your example.