• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blind fasteners for foam board...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm needing fasteners for 1'' foam board (4'x8'). These panels are being installed flush on an interior wall. The wall paper is textured and is somewhat 'plastic' feeling to the touch. Normally I would use silicone and VHB tape but silicone is not an option (customer spec) and I'm not comfortable using just VHB tape on the wakl covering. So that basically leaves me with the option of some sort of blind mechanical fastener.

Ideas?

Letterbox Mike

Personally I'd use VHB. I can't recall off the top of my head, but they have one that will stick to the wallcovering you're talking about (if I'm thinking it is what you're describing). We've used VHB on that stuff many times without a failure. 3M's DualLock will stick great to it as well.

If I can remember the 3M part number for the right VHB I'll post back.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thank you for the responses. A little bit slammed today and forgot to include the important bit of information that they want to be able to rearrange these. So whatever mounting method is used - it needs to enable the panels to be removable.

...after some research and considering the given ideas (thank you!), I think I have a method that will be simple but effective. I'm going to epoxy two of these to the back of the panels. I'll also use the screws but fill the screw holes with silicone for good measure. Prior to epoxying the hangers, I'm going to cut a matching keyhole in the Gator Board so the screw heads that the panels will hang from can recess into the Gator Board. Should be fairly effective.

You can make a Z Bracket from 1/2 Sintra. cut to length, then cut to width, lets just say 3", then set your table saw at 45 deg., cut one side, then do the opposite to the other, the one that mounts to the wall drill holes and countersink them for screws. double face tape the other to your substrate. This may work if they don't mind a couple of holes behind the sign.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, a french cleat would definitely work. My primary focus is on installations - I don't do manufacturing or production. So I would have to chase down the materials and perform the labor. It will just be easier to go to home Depot and buy the hangers and be done with it. Plus it will keep the panels closer to the wall.

Thanks everyone again for the suggestions.