• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blisters on fingers

FSDesigner

We have a job where we are removing vehicle wrap vinyl off of a lot of vans/cars/trailers... one of our employees is having issues with developing really bad blisters on his fingers! Has anyone else ever had to deal with this and are there any solutions besides just hoping his fingers heal up or callous in between each vehicle? Thanks in advance!

woolly

see the goooogle weather says its only 14 deg there today so are you warming the vinyl up a bit first

Christian @ 2CT Media

Just had some guys doing a job for us and they were removing 100s of vehicles. They ended up using liquid skin /super glue to seal the raw areas and they muscled through. Someone smarter than me needs to invent a skin protection glove that operates like bare hands and has the tactile dexterity of skin.

Last edited:

ikarasu

Wear gloves. Most of the blisters and pain is because the glue constantly grabs and pulls your skin. I go through a couple pairs of latex gloves for every removal... They rip easy.. but it's better Your gloves Tear rather than your skin.

bannertime

Many years ago (for me) we used to wrap fingers in duct tape. Didn't need full movement of the fingers, just enough to grab and grip. These days I use PIG Full Dexterity gloves and tools for picking and prodding and such.

TimToad

Funny... the employee who is having problems with the blisters is a bassist... o_O

She needs to rehearse more frequently. LOL

Face it, peeling vinyl in large quantities is a lousy, underappreciated job. We try our best to get clients to remove their own, but many have tried and are willing to pay full freight to get it done. I've found that having a few different lengths and diameters of dowel rod can help. Wearing gloves, you get a corner lifted and start wrapping the vinyl around the dowel rod then using your palm(s) more than your fingertips, you can kind of roll it off the surface. For big areas, various width media cores works well too.

We have a job where we are removing vehicle wrap vinyl off of a lot of vans/cars/trailers... one of our employees is having issues with developing really bad blisters on his fingers! Has anyone else ever had to deal with this and are there any solutions besides just hoping his fingers heal up or callous in between each vehicle? Thanks in advance!

Our teams always wear gloves. Blisters are considered a serious health concern for us. Very thin decals become difficult to grab. The longer it takes to grab the pieces the more our fingers are subjected to the extreme heat and blistering. Large wraps are the same but friction from grabbing large sheets of vinyl can also create blisters after prolonged removal projects. Another serious concern is exposure to adhesive removers.
We have tried, and continue to test many different gloves for the most optimum heat deflection vs dexterity. For the past 7 years we have not had any glove outperform the SHOWA 377 glove for the process we utilize to remove decals. Fully coated gloves are essential for us as we utilize steam for 95% of our removal. The only down side is the "FULLY COATED" means that our hands sweat inside the gloves and can create bad odor and potential health concerns also. We train our operators to turn the gloves partially inside out to expose the interior fabric and then spray with scented Lysol at the end of each day.
I just posted a youtube video out there showing the methods we use to protect our fingers, something like Removing Vinyl graphics with gloves shows a week old pair of the gloves. They have been a huge help for us. There was a time when blisters were a daily issue. We are always looking for better gloves so if anybody has found a new glove please let us know. I hate to mess up my hands, screws up my golf game.

Our teams always wear gloves. Blisters are considered a serious health concern for us. Very thin decals become difficult to grab. The longer it takes to grab the pieces the more our fingers are subjected to the extreme heat and blistering. Large wraps are the same but friction from grabbing large sheets of vinyl can also create blisters after prolonged removal projects. Another serious concern is exposure to adhesive removers.
We have tried, and continue to test many different gloves for the most optimum heat deflection vs dexterity. For the past 7 years we have not had any glove outperform the SHOWA 377 glove for the process we utilize to remove decals. Fully coated gloves are essential for us as we utilize steam for 95% of our removal. The only down side is the "FULLY COATED" means that our hands sweat inside the gloves and can create bad odor and potential health concerns also. We train our operators to turn the gloves partially inside out to expose the interior fabric and then spray with scented Lysol at the end of each day.
I just posted a youtube video out there showing the methods we use to protect our fingers, something like Removing Vinyl graphics with gloves shows a week old pair of the gloves. They have been a huge help for us. There was a time when blisters were a daily issue. We are always looking for better gloves so if anybody has found a new glove please let us know. I hate to mess up my hands, screws up my golf game.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This'll work. Just be careful.

flame thrower.jpg