• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blown F3 Fuse

Steveloaf

I have a Roland SP-300 (regrettably it seems) that was serviced a few days ago. The tech did a few print adjustments and serviced wipers and sponges. No big services just maintenance.

Test prints were fine from the plotter menu. We didn't print anything from the PC. I even asked what he thought of the machine as far as the heads, motor etc and he said from what he could see the machine was in terrific shape and unlikely would need anything for some time. It has only 600 hours on it after 7 yrs.

I went to do a job a few hours after he left and the black/cyan colors wouldn't print. I ran the machine through several cleanings and did a test print- no dice. It was late so I went to bed and talked to a tech the next day who had me go through procedures to test ink flow which we discovered it was passing through the head fine.

He told me he would have to set up an appointment to have someone come out because we had exhausted all electronic alignment possibilities and someone would have to physically inspect the machine. I heard nothing back but read that a fuse might be the culprit. After continuity testing I found that the f3 fuse was blown and I had it replaced. Now when the machine is powered up the fuse blows when it goes through the start up cycle.

I have checked all of the ribbon cables and cannot find a damaged, kinked or loose one. There seem to be no resistors blown on the main board or the head circuit board.

I know people are quick to jump to the conclusion that the head is bad but do you mean to tell me that minutes after a tech goes through the machine, gives it an A+ grade and tells me the heads look great, that one suddenly just died?

Any thoughts appreciated and is there anyway to check the cables to see if maybe one is bad? I am just amazed that this thing just up and died right after a service when it was adjusted and test printed beautifully.

Steve

InkjetAuction

Transistor?

Steve,

It may be that the transistor for that head is fried. A transistor failure can cause all kinds of weird problems here...

The most typical reason for a head fuse to blow during a service call is when the machine is powered when removing/inserting cables, or not having cables fully inserted/inserted straight on power up. (Machine must be unplugged when servicing these items to be safe). You have to pay attention here... I've done it myself.

You can also do some damage by a drop of ink on a print head board, causing a short (if replacing a damper, for example). Smart techs stuff some paper towels in the head carriage before pulling a damper...

Anyway, you may consider using the cables from the good head to eliminate the cables... or even swap heads... but I suspect a transistor.

Just some thoughts. PM me for more guidance if you need it.

~E

Jemmings

The issue is likely a shorted transistor and

The problem is likely a shorted transistor and other parts in the same circuit as the fuse. We see this issue all the time and can normally return the repaired board the same or next day.

Steveloaf

Thanks- and a question

I don't see any visible damage to any transistors on any boards.

Last edited:

Steveloaf

The board wasn't the problem. It works fine in a friends machine so it can be ruled out. Glad I didn't waste time trying to fix it when it wasn't even broken. That leaves the head (or cables). Interesting enough, the machine did start and run it's clean cycle without blowing the fuse finally. Unfortunately when I ran a test print the fuse then popped. Not sure what the difference would be but I was hoping that maybe since the head moved a greater distance doing the test print that possibly the ribbon cable has a bad spot in it somewhere and it's actually the cable shorting on something.

Gabriel

Maybe the head cables are inserted wrong. If it's not on it's position, then the fuse will fry. Check out the head cables, take them out, see if the pins are OK, then put them back. Look at it twice before you start the printer. Good luck!

phototec

The board wasn't the problem. It works fine in a friends machine so it can be ruled out. Glad I didn't waste time trying to fix it when it wasn't even broken. That leaves the head (or cables). Interesting enough, the machine did start and run it's clean cycle without blowing the fuse finally. Unfortunately when I ran a test print the fuse then popped. Not sure what the difference would be but I was hoping that maybe since the head moved a greater distance doing the test print that possibly the ribbon cable has a bad spot in it somewhere and it's actually the cable shorting on something.

Steveloaf,

Ok, what was the final resolve, what was the culprit causing the fuse to blow?

:help