• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Blown Fuses on Roland SolJet Pro XC-540

Signturesigns

So I purchased a OHM reader to test the 3 fuses on my headboard and the readings are all different. I recently sent my board out for repair and my tech put in 2 new fuses and left my old one in that was giving good readings.

I turned on the machine and did a test print and bank C is not firing. So we turned off the printer and tested the fuses and noticed fuse 2&3 were blown. I am trying to figure out why these fuses blew when the tech just installed them. I also need to know where I can buy these fuses from in China? No one sells them across the state! Drop a link if you know where to buy.

Also what could be causing the fuses to blow? I just replaced the blue printhead so I know it cant be that the blue printhead is bad.

crny1

Pretty sure these are the fuses on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/FH-740-RS-640-XC-540-Fuse-04533/dp/B076Y9F1BN
I bought mine on amazon for my xc540. My guess is if you installed a new printhead and it instantly blew the fuse you ribbon cable isnt installed correctly or one of the gold fingers folded over on you when it was inserted. This is exactly what happened to me. Had a bad head, changed it and instantly blew the fuse and shorted out the main board. The ribbons gold finger had folded and shorted it.

Technician

Drive it hard
Did your tech check the transistors on the board?
It’s very common it’s a short circuit in them and it will blow your fuse.

Signturesigns

Did your tech check the transistors on the board?
It’s very common it’s a short circuit in them and it will blow your fuse.
Yes he replaced 2 of my transistors. We put a new fuse in and now the yellow and black came back but the cyan and magenta are not firing.... i tested the fuse and I think it's blown.

Last edited:

Signturesigns

I bought mine on amazon for my xc540. My guess is if you installed a new printhead and it instantly blew the fuse you ribbon cable isnt installed correctly or one of the gold fingers folded over on you when it was inserted. This is exactly what happened to me. Had a bad head, changed it and instantly blew the fuse and shorted out the main board. The ribbons gold finger had folded and shorted it.
Thank you, Is this for one fuse? or do you get multiple? Also do you have a tech you use who I can ship my board to?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check your head cables for damage or debris. You gotta figure out what's blowing the fuses before replacing them or they will just continue to pop.

C5 Service&Repair

if you are consistently blowing a fuse 2 or 3 but not #1, then either your board is cooked, the head is bad or you have a cable terminal criss crossing with one next to it on the ribbon cables.
if you pulled a ribbon cable with the machine plugged in, or not fully discharged after unplugging it, you blew the board.
MacMedia.com does a good job repairing boards.

Signturesigns

Thanks . when you said this I immediately went and checked the cable connectors and realized I had 2 cables crossed into the wrong ports! when I switched them back to the correct connector that ribbon sparked then smoked! I then checked my fuses and I blew 1 of them. What should I try now? I thought by fixing the crossed ribbons that would have fixed the problem.... any suggestions what to try next?

Signturesigns

if you are consistently blowing a fuse 2 or 3 but not #1, then either your board is cooked, the head is bad or you have a cable terminal criss crossing with one next to it on the ribbon cables.
if you pulled a ribbon cable with the machine plugged in, or not fully discharged after unplugging it, you blew the board.
MacMedia.com does a good job repairing boards.
Yess I think you're right. thank you when you said this I immediately went and checked the cable connectors and realized I had 2 cables crossed! when I switched them back to the correct connector that ribbon sparked then smoked! I then checked my fuses and I blew 1 of them. What should I try now? I thought by fixing the crossed ribbons that would have fixed the problem.... any suggestions what to try next?

Signturesigns

Can someone show me where I can double check that I have the ribbon cables connected properly. I switched them to the correct position from visually looking at the other banks but now I just need to be sure I have it right!

netsol

signture
we just did the same repair (blown head fuse, bought the machine that way) in march.
ours is a sc545-ex. the point is, switching the cables from head to head DOESN'T blow fuses. you do this to troubleshoot a bad head/damper etc
you have probably damaged a ribbon cable, or have ink spilled on the cables, disolving the insulation, causing a short

we repaired our own board, (50 years experience doing electronic repairs) but still needed some help from dave from solvent printer conversions to troubleshoot

when you look at the cable ends there are contacts at the end, silver in color, about 1/4" long. if any of them are lifted, burned, or not parallel (evenly spaced) to the other contacts the cable is bad, REPLACE IT. when you plug it in it will short. if there is ink On the cable, replace it. ink is conductive and the solvent in ink can dissolve the insulation

change the cables, replace fuses ONE MORE TIME. if fuse blows, send the board out to be serviced, unless you think you have a reputable company to fix it locally. do not keep changing and blowing fuses repeatedly. that won't help

even a tv repair shop electronic tech can do this, (if there is someone in your area) but it is probably beypnd the ability of someone without experience in repairs. you can burn or break foils, install transistors improperly, losing an insulator, etc, while soldering in new parts

not trying to scare you, just be realistic about your abilities.you don't want to ruin a repairable board. if fuses still blow after changing bad/questionable cables, ssomeone has to do resistence readings for all 4 pairs of transistors fed by the blown fuse. shorted transistors need to be changed. you need to be careful plugging in ribbon cables & inspect the ends every time you unplug them

be careful and methodical & it isn't a terrible repair

one other thing. be sure you have the right fuses

someone on ebay sent me 1.6 amp roland fuses & my machine required 3.2 amp
drove us crazy that day.

i hope i helped

Signturesigns

signture
we just did the same repair (blown head fuse, bought the machine that way) in march.
ours is a sc545-ex. the point is, switching the cables from head to head DOESN'T blow fuses. you do this to troubleshoot a bad head/damper etc
you have probably damaged a ribbon cable, or have ink spilled on the cables, disolving the insulation, causing a short

we repaired our own board, (50 years experience doing electronic repairs) but still needed some help from dave from solvent printer conversions to troubleshoot

when you look at the cable ends there are contacts at the end, silver in color, about 1/4" long. if any of them are lifted, burned, or not parallel (evenly spaced) to the other contacts the cable is bad, REPLACE IT. when you plug it in it will short. if there is ink On the cable, replace it. ink is conductive and the solvent in ink can dissolve the insulation

change the cables, replace fuses ONE MORE TIME. if fuse blows, send the board out to be serviced, unless you think you have a reputable company to fix it locally. do not keep changing and blowing fuses repeatedly. that won't help

even a tv repair shop electronic tech can do this, (if there is someone in your area) but it is probably beypnd the ability of someone without experience in repairs. you can burn or break foils, install transistors improperly, losing an insulator, etc, while soldering in new parts

not trying to scare you, just be realistic about your abilities.you don't want to ruin a repairable board. if fuses still blow after changing bad/questionable cables, ssomeone has to do resistence readings for all 4 pairs of transistors fed by the blown fuse. shorted transistors need to be changed. you need to be careful plugging in ribbon cables & inspect the ends every time you unplug them

be careful and methodical & it isn't a terrible repair

one other thing. be sure you have the right fuses

someone on ebay sent me 1.6 amp roland fuses & my machine required 3.2 amp
drove us crazy that day.

i hope i helped

Last edited:

netsol

solvent inkjet has them, and i am pretty sure premiercolour does as well
if you ordr from solvent inkjet get a couple of his tapered syringes, as well
no messing withhdifferent diameters of hose