• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blown spark plug, never heard of it before it happened to me.

binki

2003 F150 5.4 and the spark plug blew right out of the hole stripping the threads right out. I never heard of this but this is the first vehicle I have taken to 200K miles.

I did find a Ford Master Mechanic that has developed a repair on his own that is guaranteed for life. He did a great job in about an hour and fixed the blown plug, one other that was bad and did the entire tune up and came to my business and did it while I was working.

Cost was right in line with a tune up plus a repair for the plug blowout so I am pretty happy right now that I have my truck back and running.

WildWestDesigns

That is a very common issue on both the modular v8s as well as the v10s for those early years. Over torquing, as was already mentioned, is typically the culprit.

You got lucky that it lasted as long as it did without having an issue.

704signs

This has happened to me as well on my 04 f 150 5.4 V8 ... No damage was done ... 232,000 miles and still running strong FORD F150s ROCK!!!!:rock-n-roll:

rjssigns

The true culprit is the extended tip plugs. They are a strange looking deal, quite long and weak. TSB's have been written and a host of specialty tools developed to deal with them. Google plug replacement for the 5.4, nasty.

todd h

just happened to me as well

just had mine repaired on saturday. i'm right at the 200,000 mile mark as well.
todd

SIGNTIME

my 04 150 was nice till the transmission went @ 107,000 mi got me a new hemi last year and love it

WildWestDesigns

my 04 150 was nice till the transmission went @ 107,000 mi got me a new hemi last year and love it

Strange. Dodge's really aren't know for their trannies, either manual or auto (but especially auto) in stock form.

The torqshift behind the later 5.4s and even the 1st gens behind the 6.0 PSDs are really good.

SIGNTIME

yea I think I may just run my trucks a little to hard I had a 98 dakota and lost 2nd gear at 138,000 but my new truck is the first truck i bought new and have a warranty which is cool.

cajun312

The mechanic in the shop next door to me caters to Fords, the problems aren't only blowing the plugs out of the heads, when it's time to change the spark plugs, many break off in the head.
He has started requiring customers to run SeaFoam in their fuel for two full tanks, then he adds another can through the injectors. Apparently the threads of the spark plugs extend into the combustion chamber and get a lot of carbon build up on the threads. Far less removal problems after doing that

He includes on his estimates that if the heads need to be pulled, that spark plug change could cost over $2,000