• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BN20 Roll/Sheet sizes .... !?*&%^ !!!!!!

Legion455

I bought a new BN20 last week

Ordered Roll vinyl, and .... anyway,... some was cut down from a 30" roll,... so I got a 20" roll and a 10" roll ...

Plus I have an old PC12, that I had just bought a new roll of 13" vinyl ..

Last night I had some small jobs to do, so I thought I put in the 13" roll and use that first ....

and soon as I put the 13" roll in, I start getting "Pinch Roller Position incorrect" errors ... ?"??? go back to 20" , no problem....

then decided to put in a roll of 10" and try that... error again!!!...

Reading the manual... I found that although most sales guys will tell you it takes any size up to 20" , it won't ...
Here's what it will take:

6" (minimum it will see and use)
7" - Won't work
8" - ok
9" - ok
10" - Won't work
11" - ok
12" - ok
13" - Won't Work
14" - ok
15" - ok (cutoff at 15.1")
16" - ok
17" - Won't Work
18" - ok
19" - Won't Work
20" ok

So,... beware, if you have a bunch of 13" and 10" rolls, they will not work in the printer.

(Reference page 10 of Bn-20 manual.)

Sizes that work:
5.9 - 6.7 inches
7.9 - 9.3
11.3 - 12.7
13.7 - 15.1
15.5 - 16.9
17.3 - 18.7
19.2 - 20.3

hope this helps someone.
Allen

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Just align the pinch rollers within the acceptable range. My Graphtec CE5000-60 24" machine, and most other machines, also has this limitation.

So for the 10" roll set the pinch rollers to the 9" and loose the 1" but gain 8"

13" set for 12" ect...

Legion455

not easy on the BN20.

If you try to set the roller smaller than the paper size, .. the roller bracket hits the paper 'roll holder' , and even if you take that off,... still doesn't work...

You 'can' set the roller out just a bit ... but then you'll get the roller doesn't rest on the paper.

If someone is getting 30" rolls for the BN-20 I suggest having them cut to 18" and 12".

Allen

dcurtisroland

Roland sells 7 different media in 20" widths that's profiled and guaranteed if you don't want to have to order media cut down to size.

Matte Calendared vinyl
Glossy calendared vinyl
Solvent glossy paper
Solvent glossy paper w/ adhesive
White static cling
Clear static cling
Heat transfer material for garments

-Dana

Legion455

Thanks, I've been buying that, but I also had some Clear that was cut from a 30" roll, plus some 13" from my old PC-12 that I wanted to use.

My dealer didn't even know about this,... but they're going to help me out and cut an inch off of my short rolls so they work in the BN20.

Allen

Mike_Koval

Imprintables carries the following in 20" sizes...

Glossy White/Clear calendered
Glossy Photo Paper
Gloss Banner
Satin Canvas
White/Clear Static Cling
Eco-Print Heat Transfer

We also have some options on 15" heat transfer as well.

antant77

I know this is an old thread but I come up with a solution that worked for me!

You have to unscrew the piece that doesn't allow it to move past the media holder reel, once that piece that stops it from moving inward onto the vinyl you can move it in to where the printer will accept it!!

antant77

not easy on the BN20.

and even if you take that off,... still doesn't work...

Allen

Not sure if you actually tried to take that piece off or not or if you just heard taking that piece off still won't work? I only say that because I just unscrewed mine so I can move it in and my BN 20 recognizes and accepts it this way....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Once in a while we have odd sized prints or material to cut that won't line up with the required pinch roller widths.
We just add a strip of waste material down one or both sides for the rollers to clamp down on.
(tape it on the release sheet side).
This comes from the very early days of cutting vinyl when we had our brand new 16" Houston Instrument plotter and a boat load of 12" 3M HP vinyl from TrimLine.
Not a great option for a full roll of material but beats not being able to use the width that you paid for.

wayne k
guam usa

LSD

I figured it out and it 100% works

Not sure if you actually tried to take that piece off or not or if you just heard taking that piece off still won't work? I only say that because I just unscrewed mine so I can move it in and my BN 20 recognizes and accepts it this way....

OK a few things, follow the unscrew method and grab that spare profit....i mean that 10" roll and run with with the UN-screwed guide,
then adjust it so both rollers are set on the crosshatched areas that the rollers are "supposed" to be set to. approx.6.5" from the left edge to the outer edge of the left guide should work,
now feed the material through and GET READY TO clamp the pinch roller,
first get 2 pieces of paper i used some scrap material approx. 2.25"Wide by 4"Long, and don't stick the material just slide one piece over the material sensor located on the right back side its a oblong hole cut in the plate behind the sheet roller
and your other piece will sit on the front material sensor this hole, thisis visible from the front just place the spare piece over the material sensor and clamp the pinch roller. BOOOOOOM your set.
i set up a black oval .eps file i made to test it out and it worked perfect, it read the 8.22"width when i clicked the Get Media Width, and let it run, and yup sure as the rain it worked.

it seems like a lot of work and the first time it was but now its allowed me to capitalize on what would of been lost profit.
i know bad grammar and worse spelling, but ask me if i care? im making money son so no F'S GIVEN. HOPe this help some one else.
if more info is needed like pics just let me know and ill take some time to make a tutorial.