• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BN20 wont cut for some jobs

pjr

running a BN20 for small logo print runs and cutting went strange. Did the test cut and worked at default pressure of 50, ran an old cut job that had same settings and printed and cut, but new jobs had to set pressure to 200 to get cutting to occur whilst the old jobs still cut at the 50 pressure setting. any thoughts anyone?

GC Decor

Super Printer
Is the bladed seated properly ?? Is it an old blade?? Might be time to replace it, not sure if BN20 has speed controls but you could try slowing it down as well. We had a BN20 years ago and cutting settings only changed our blade was on the way out.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
running a BN20 for small logo print runs and cutting went strange. Did the test cut and worked at default pressure of 50, ran an old cut job that had same settings and printed and cut, but new jobs had to set pressure to 200 to get cutting to occur whilst the old jobs still cut at the 50 pressure setting. any thoughts anyone?
There could be a few different factors. Is the media the same? Do they both bleed or not bleed (Darker colors cut through easier due to more ink down on the vinyl through the cutting area)? Are you passing settings the same in Versa Works, ex. are both just cutting once, or is one cutting around twice? Not sure if using illustrator or corel, but make sure your settings are the same for the cut contours. It's unlikely the blade if you can still cut old jobs the same as before.

garyroy

It always drove me crazy wondering if the thickness of the cut contour line mattered.
I make all of mine 2pt thickness. We also keep a sharp blade in the holder and the use right (degree) angle.
We don't use the original Roland blades, too expensive, we get our 60 degree blades, Seikitech, off of EBay.
When they dull we throw them right in the garbage because they are so cheap.

Whats weird about your job is one cuts OK and the same blade on another job needs 200 grams.
??

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
It always drove me crazy wondering if the thickness of the cut contour line mattered.
I make all of mine 2pt thickness. We also keep a sharp blade in the holder and the use right (degree) angle.
We don't use the original Roland blades, too expensive, we get our 60 degree blades, Seikitech, off of EBay.
When they dull we throw them right in the garbage because they are so cheap.

Whats weird about your job is one cuts OK and the same blade on another job needs 200 grams.
??
I was always told to keep the cut contour line stroke small at .25pt and centered, but to be honest I don't know if it really matters all that much.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
Besides the blade, have you checked the cutting strip? The wear unevenly and will give different results over the width of the machine.

Good Luck

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I was thinking cutting strip too. I've also heard of some folks having this issue where the thing is out of level and one side will cut cleanly where the other will not. Thankfully I haven't experienced it with my BN20a. What media are you running? 200 seems pretty high but maybe not. 50 seems crazy low. How is your blade stick-out?

Zoogee, I also understood .25 to be the "correct" for CutContour, but haven't ever bothered to try anything else.