• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat lettering removal & replacement

Gator Graphic

I've got a job to remove lettering off of a fiberglass boat and replace them with a new name. How do I remove it without damage and what do I clean it with? Is Oracal 751 the correct vinyl to use? The boat will be in fresh & salt water if that makes a difference. Need help to do a good job, very picky client (my brother)!

i would place heat lamps or use a heat gun to warm the vinyl with the aid of a lil chizler or razor blade remove old graphics the majority of hte adhesive should come up with the vinyl if it is heated to the correct range, use an adhesive remover of your choice to remove any residue....depending on the age of the boat, useage, storage etc you will most likely have a ghost in the gelcote. manufacture graphics out of your prefered trusted brand of high performance cast vinyl. since job is for picky client and a family member make sure to charge double or more.....

i assumed it was vinyl with my advice above. i am reluctant to give advice out on how to remove it if it is painted as the damage that could be done by untrained persons could be horrific and this is in the forum that is open to all. if it is painted pm me and i will give you the steps i would take

Billct2

Vinyl...heat gun anbd adhesive remover.
Paint...Easy Off oven cleaner and the client kows it might not work great...
or the better option have a boat yard clean and buff it.

Blazingsun

If its Painted Use esay off Oven Cleaner But do Not leave it on to long it will Burn the Gel coat.. once removed use Buffing wheel and compound to bring back high shine..

But beware the Older the Lettering the More chance of shadowing...I have also seen where the Paint actually rasied the gel coat and cases and edge shadow..... Make sure custoemr is FULLY AWARE of the Possible out comes.. and GET IT IN WRITING!

For Vinyl use a heat gun as suggested above.. once removed Buff with compound ( Helps reduce Shadowing) also make sure the customer is aware there may be some shadowing..