• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Vinyl Install

Nismoasfuh

Hello all! So I'm going to tackle my first real big vinyl install. Its 3 colors, with a small overlay on a 26' boat. The vinyl itself is 15' all in all. Using Oracal 751 cast vinyl.

I won't be able to use my handy magnets due to the boat being fiberglass. But are there any special techniques for boats to consider during this install?

Unfortunately the install is going to take place outside, meaning I'm going to have to deal with the elements (sun/wind/etc) But is the install going to be somewhat the same thing as what I am already doing?

I'm just going to:
-wipe down and clean the surface well.
-tape down the entire artwork (all three pieces)
-Work with one vinyl at a time
-When getting ready to apply second layer I will cut The backing straight down the middle where my registration marks are and wet it using rapid tac (both surface and vinyl) So i can carefully line up the registration marks to the reg marks of the already placed vinyl.

Is there any other way to line these up though? Besides it being a really BIG install that I have never done, Im worried that I won't be able to properly line up the registration marks since its such a big piece of vinyl.

Any tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

cwade440

Sounds like you've got the basics down perfectly well. You've outlined my technique that I've been doing for more than 15 years on boats. In water or on the hard? Just make sure you thoroughly wipe down the glass because most boats have at least one coat of wax by this time of the season. Watch out for wind being outdoors. Post pics!

Nismoasfuh

Sounds like you've got the basics down perfectly well. You've outlined my technique that I've been doing for more than 15 years on boats. In water or on the hard? Just make sure you thoroughly wipe down the glass because most boats have at least one coat of wax by this time of the season. Watch out for wind being outdoors. Post pics!

on land on a trailer :) its strictly on the side of the boat so I wont be dealing with glass.

equippaint

Do it wet and take your time. I would just lay down the first, wet lightly and apply then go from there. The layers going on vinyl will stick to themselves better than the initial layer on fiberglass. Don't overdo the first or you will be waiting all day to pull transfer tape.

Nismoasfuh

Do it wet and take your time. I would just lay down the first, wet lightly and apply then go from there. The layers going on vinyl will stick to themselves better than the initial layer on fiberglass. Don't overdo the first or you will be waiting all day to pull transfer tape.
Thanks for the tip! Ive lately been actually applying everything dry because it seems to be the more professional way to go about it. Ill make sure to do a small application of rapid tac on my first layer of vinyl. This is also my first time using cast vinyl so I had heard using wet application is a big NO NO because of the air egress in the vinyl.
Still I'll feel much more confident using the rapid tac so i think im going to do that.

SIGNTIME

I don't like doing anything wet anymore. What has worked well for myself is cutting the registration mark out of the top layers with an exacto and line them up that way, then apply dry.

d fleming

I rarely use app fluid any more. I also use good old five pointed stars for registration marks on all layers. You can lay each piece to align to the stars easily.

letterman7

If you're using air egress vinyl, DO NOT use application fluid. You'll wind up with a million little bubbles that take forever to get out. If you're using a regular 2mil no air egress, then fluid away. I have no issues with using application fluid in the appropriate situations. Not seeing what you're working with, that may be the only way to do it (and an extra pair of hands will help). If it's a graphic you can cut into smaller manageable pieces, then try to do it dry.

equippaint

Thanks for the tip! Ive lately been actually applying everything dry because it seems to be the more professional way to go about it. Ill make sure to do a small application of rapid tac on my first layer of vinyl. This is also my first time using cast vinyl so I had heard using wet application is a big NO NO because of the air egress in the vinyl.
Still I'll feel much more confident using the rapid tac so i think im going to do that.
Unless I'm unaware of something, 751 is not an air egress vinyl.

Nismoasfuh

thank for the tips guys! Ended up rushing at the end and forgetting to snap pics! maybe someone else at my shop took some, i'll check tomm.

Either way, as mentioned above, I made little cuts on the backing to expose the registration marks. I then only wet the reg marks and lined them up, now that was actually very hard because I have "normal" transfer tape that has a darkish color. Do you guys strictly use clear transfer tape for multi color jobs like this? I have never used clear transfer tape so if thats the case some brand recommendations would be great! Besides not being able to see the reg marks too well, the other hard thing I faced was the curvature of the boat, luckily the design require for me to deal with the part of the hull that goes "in" (front of the boat) but the line on the side of the boat were all over the place, would you guys just line it up with the hard "lines" of the boat? Or give a little angle to one side or something to compensate and make it "look" straight?