• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Vinyl

StickySigns

We've been asked to redo the blue stripe on this boat in matte black.

I have done a few custom boat names in cast vinyl (hexis or Avery) and they seem to hold fine, but what about doing a whole side of a boat with it?

Could we use the same cast vinyl like avery 900, and would that stay on?

What lamination should we use (scratches etc...) I have thought about the convex stuff, but our local supplier doesn't have matte convex lamination.

I hope the boatwrap guys can point me in the right direction...

Attachments

• fotobootzij.jpg
    fotobootzij.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 112

StickySigns

It might seem weird, but we have this reputation doing everything matte, and people go crazy for it go figure :)

The truck pulling the boat will be wrapped matte black too.

I'm just worried about it staying nice in these circumstances...

letterman7

What, the dark blue gelcoated stripe? I'm not sure that matte anything will hold up to a marine environment. After all, once they put the dock bumpers down - if they use them - anything those bumpers touch is going to be rubbed to a semi-gloss. You're right about using a laminate on it, and a low gloss or matte is certainly the way to go. If your supplier doesn't carry it, find someone who does. The only other choice here, if the boat owner is ok with it, is to paint it and topcoat it with a matte clear. Actually... you could spray a matte clear on top of the vinyl, too, if so inclined!

Weird? What, that both posters are named "stickysigns'? Or that someone wants a matte boat?

Sticky Signs

Yeah, scrolling through today's post and I see this one about boat vinyl that at first glance seems to be posted by me. My first thought was - -man, how much did I drink last night. I don't remember anything about a boat. LOL

Sorry, Can't help with advice for the boat though

StickySigns

We did get to finish the boat last week, result looks very nice, happy customer :)

I did a matte cast laminate on Hexis Cast glossy black vinyl to add extra thickness so there would be less damage in case of collision... result is nice matte finish

here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1786.jpg