• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

boat wrap material

Wrapdup

got a request to wrap a boat for a customer. this would be out first boat wrap.

what material do you recomend? will a high end cast media work or is there a material made specially for wet situations?

AdamLarson

Coloradosigns- thanks for the recommendation!

Don't mind me while I insert a bit of a marketing plug here too:

Summer is nearly here and the boat wrap market is growing, so you can expect to see more requests like this. Both *3M™ Controltac™ Graphic Film with Comply™ v3 Adhesive IJ180Cv3 and *3M™ Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080 are excellent choices for a boat wrap. We just wrote about how you can use boat wraps to grow your business - you might find the information useful. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...aphics/Resources/eNewsletter/Stories/?#story1

Thanks all!

Adam Larson
3M Commercial Graphics- Marketing

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Do you guys always use the air release for boat wraps? I have heard both ways being successful just curious if you ever have issues with water getting into those channels.

Stuckup

Have used Avery 900 on 3 x 280 passenger Aluminium Ferries. Awesome, Handles the salt and removal is by water blaster. Have used 3M 180c and Avery 1005 on speed/race/ski boats, there is zero problem with water entering air release, as one just seals the edges as a pre caution, I use 2 pak clear, especially on Race Boats. If you are really worried about wear and tear, install un laminated and clearcoat in 2 Pac Clear coat. A clear coat Paint job over vinyl requires a few Dust coats (very light) then you can Coat it fully a few times. For gloss and durability, nothing beats this in my opinion. The laminated version of prints is still great and will last if matched media are used, and on Gel Coat Fibreglass boats, the vinyl sits solid. Just make sure you get the polish off the surface, I did have a contract for a boat manufacturer, 6 years, over 1100 boats done for them, mainly basic designs, branding and stripes but also a few wraps. They dont fail, give it a go with cast vinyl and seal bottom edge just to be safe.

HulkSmash

Do you guys always use the air release for boat wraps? I have heard both ways being successful just curious if you ever have issues with water getting into those channels.

not if the installer does it right. Edge sealer all the way around and then a thin .5 inch lam strip around the edges as well helps.

i won't touch calendered vinyl to do any vehicle surface.

Stuckup

not if the installer does it right. Edge sealer all the way around and then a thin .5 inch lam strip around the edges as well helps.

i won't touch calendered vinyl to do any vehicle surface.

LOL, I used to install calendered wraps, they would say it's only on for 2 or 3 weeks, promotion. Nah, they leave it on, then fails and you look bad, I'm with Colorado, NO calendered wraps.